[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Plus monitor problem

volaski@acsu.buffalo.edu (Maurice Volaski) (05/07/90)

I have a problem with the monitor on my Mac Plus. The screen display is
presenting with thin white lines running from the left edge of the monitor
to the right on a slant. In addition, everything is going out of focus, and
the brightness control has become limited in how much it can turn the
brightness down.
Any ideas on what might be wrong and how to proceed?

Thanks,

Maurice Volaski

rbauer@oregon.uoregon.edu (05/08/90)

In article <24690@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, volaski@acsu.buffalo.edu (Maurice Volaski) writes:
> Keywords:video,white thin lines, focus,brightness
>
> I have a problem with the monitor on my Mac Plus. The screen display is
> presenting with thin white lines running from the left edge of the monitor
> to the right on a slant. In addition, everything is going out of focus, and
> the brightness control has become limited in how much it can turn the
> brightness down.
> Any ideas on what might be wrong and how to proceed?

There are several parts on the video board that fail regularly, from
filter capacitors to rectifiers and voltage regulators.  Soft Solutions
in Oregon @503 461 1136 has an upgrade kit that has heavy-duty versions
of these parts (i.e., higher voltage or current ratings) for about
$35 or $50 with a new-style flyback transformer.  If you're losing focus,
there's a set of resistors that are often the cause.   They also have
"Macintosh Repair Secrets" which covers most of the video/power supply and
motherboard problems that you'll run into.  You can also fax them @461 2005
if you just want their catalog.