[comp.sys.mac.hardware] The Cheapest possible 105 meg Quantum???

mjkobb@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (05/04/90)

In article <26363072.3E82@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:

>I suggest APS at 1-800-233-7550.  They sell the Q105 for $599 and $699 external.
>
>Just a happy customer!

Now, that's a truly astounding price for a Quantum 105.  One question, though:

  Does anybody know if the Q105 comes with the RAM cache by default?  My LaCie
is built on that drive, and it has a cache.  Is that something LaCie added?
Does LaCie do anything else different and exciting to the mechanism, like
changing the ROMs or something?

I'm sorely tempted to buy one of these drive!!

--Mike

chcu321@ut-emx.UUCP (Michael J. Liebman) (05/04/90)

 mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
> paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:
>
>>I suggest APS at 1-800-233-7550.  They sell the Q105 for $599 and
>>$699 external.
>>
>>Just a happy customer!
>
>Now, that's a truly astounding price for a Quantum 105.  One question, though:
>
>  Does anybody know if the Q105 comes with the RAM cache by default?  My LaCie
>is built on that drive, and it has a cache.  Is that something LaCie added?
>Does LaCie do anything else different and exciting to the mechanism, like
>changing the ROMs or something?
>
>I'm sorely tempted to buy one of these drive!!

I just purchased one of these.  It has a built-in cache, so APS claims
12 ms access times.  It comes formatted with a system installed (mine
had 6.0.4) and formatting and partioning software.  I proceeded to
partition my disk and install system 6.0.5.  I'm quite happy with it.
It sure seems fast, and a little quieter than the 13-month-old Apple
Quantum 80 Mb drive that went bad on me.  Sure is nice to know the
drive sold through APS comes with a 2-year manufacturer's warranty!

The only problem I've had is with a case of the screen jitters.  When
there is a lot of disk activity, my SE/30 screen jitters a very small
amount.  The service folk at APS have been very helpful and have
suggested some things that reduced the problem tremendously.  Since
this is related to the proximity of the disk to the CRT, I'm sure
there won't be any problems for externals or non-SE installations.

Feel free to e-mail if you have any specific questions.

Mike

  Michael J. Liebman               chcu321@emx.cc.utexas.edu (128.83.1.33)
  Dept. of Chemical Engineering    liebman@UTAIVC (BITNET)
  University of Texas at Austin    (512) 471-5150.ma.bell

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (05/04/90)

In article <29471@ut-emx.UUCP> chcu321@emx.UUCP (Michael J. Liebman) writes:

>I just purchased one of these.  It has a built-in cache, so APS claims
>12 ms access times.  It comes formatted with a system installed (mine
>had 6.0.4) and formatting and partioning software.  I proceeded to
>partition my disk and install system 6.0.5.  I'm quite happy with it.
>It sure seems fast, and a little quieter than the 13-month-old Apple
>Quantum 80 Mb drive that went bad on me.  Sure is nice to know the
>drive sold through APS comes with a 2-year manufacturer's warranty!
>
>The only problem I've had is with a case of the screen jitters.  When
>there is a lot of disk activity, my SE/30 screen jitters a very small
>amount.  The service folk at APS have been very helpful and have
>suggested some things that reduced the problem tremendously.  Since
>this is related to the proximity of the disk to the CRT, I'm sure
>there won't be any problems for externals or non-SE installations.
>
>Feel free to e-mail if you have any specific questions.
>
>Mike

The jitters you mentioned are caused by the positioning of the drive.
This is one of the reasons Apple mounts their internal SE drives with the
logic board facing up.  The bracket that APS supplies with the drive
forces you to mount the drive with the logic board facing down.  This
causes the EMI from the moving head distort the SE screen image.

The APS guys said they are working on developing a new bracket to fix the
problem.

>--
>
>  Michael J. Liebman               chcu321@emx.cc.utexas.edu (128.83.1.33)
>  Dept. of Chemical Engineering    liebman@UTAIVC (BITNET)
>  University of Texas at Austin    (512) 471-5150.ma.bell

Saiid Paryavi                      			CIS Department
Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall, KSU
UUCP:      {rutgers, texbell}!ksuvax1!harry!paryavi	Manhattan, KS  66506

blood@aludra.usc.edu (Brian Blood) (05/08/90)

From blood Mon May  7 14:08:47 1990
To: /home/chaph9/blood/.article

All the Quantum ProDrive series come with a 32K cache installed. Itr doesn't
matter who packages it. Quantum is the one who put it  int here.

Brian Blood		Univ. of Southern Cal. Underground Mac Dude
INTERNET: blood@usc.edu			Business Hours: 20/24 daily
Disclaimer: 'Vuja De'--None of this has ever happened!
SnailMail: 333 Prestonwood DR #2506 	AT&TLink: USC--(213)745-2760
	   Richardson, TX 75081			  HomeSweetHome--(214)907-2943
'Pain don't hurt'-'Roadhouse'		'We don't need no stinkin' badges!'-BS