[comp.sys.mac.hardware] RasterOps Video Colorboard 364

mjkobb@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (05/04/90)

Greetings,

  I just got the new MacWorld, and I was intrigued by the ad for the new
RasterOps Video Colorboard 364.  It claims to do live video on the Mac screen
seamlessly with other apps, and be a (I think) 24-bit video board as well.  It
can apparently do 24-bit frame-grabs from the video source, which can be NTSC
or S-Video.

  SO, anybody seen it?  Played with it?  What's the speed of the frame-grab?
How's the video quality?  Can the video be scaled?  How fast are the rest of
the graphics?  If they're slow, can they be sped up?  How many inputs does it
have?

  I've used MassMicrosystems ColorSpace boards, and they're the best I've seen
so far, but for the type of functionality that RasterOps seems to be claiming,
you need two boards and a lot of money.  The RO is one board for <$2000.

--Mike

planting@hobbes.cs.pitt.edu (Harry Plantinga) (05/08/90)

In article <2335@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>Greetings,
>
>  I just got the new MacWorld, and I was intrigued by the ad for the new
>RasterOps Video Colorboard 364.  It claims to do live video on the Mac screen
>seamlessly with other apps, and be a (I think) 24-bit video board as well.  It
>can apparently do 24-bit frame-grabs from the video source, which can be NTSC
>or S-Video.
>
>  SO, anybody seen it?  Played with it?  What's the speed of the frame-grab?
>How's the video quality?  Can the video be scaled?  How fast are the rest of
>the graphics?  If they're slow, can they be sped up?  How many inputs does it
>have?
>
>--Mike

I acquired one a few days ago.  It has two inputs, an RCA input for
NTSC video and an S-Video input.  It has a single output, a 15-pin
connector (I think) for the monitor.

It does indeed display live video in a window, even in the background,
and even while you are doing other things.  When the program is
running in the foreground, the video looks just like a very hi-res
television.  The video is not as smooth (apparently not 30 frames
per second) when the program is operating in the background, but still
usable.

It displays full-size (approximately 640 x 480) or half-size windows,
and the portion of the video signal that is displayed can be reduced.
There are controls for contrast, brightness, hue, saturation, white
level, black level, and gamma correction.  In addition, you can
freeze just the R, G, or B component of the video for interesting
effects.

The software lets you grab a single image or "timed grab" a sequence of
images, either to memory or to disk.  With a small window, I can grab
about 30-50 images to memory (5 MB) at almost frame rate.  These can be
saved as 8- or 24-bit picts or tiffs.  The software seems mature.

The speed of the board as a regular video board seems to be the same as
any other unaccelerated video board, although I haven't made any
measurements.  It also works as a larger virtual monitor with pan and
zoom when in less than 24-bit mode.

I only have two complaints so far.  The first is that some lines
sometimes appear to the right of the video window, messing up whatever
is to the right of the window on the screen.  I don't know why it
happens, but it doesn't bother me much since I am rarely doing
anything else while live video is running on the screen.  The second
problem is that while it displays rock-steady images from a video
camera and from a video tape (hi-8 format), the picture from a stopped
video tape ("freeze-frame") is not perfect.  Some lines jitter, the
top scrunches off to the left a bit, and there is some noise at the
bottom.  These problems don't appear when playing back a freeze frame
on a television.  There is a setting ("use alternate PLL") which
improves the picture on freeze-frame, but the results are still not
100% perfect--perhaps 95%.

Incidentally, I'm selling my RasterOps 264 24-bit video card for $450
or best offer and my MacVision 8-bit grayscale video digitizer for
$150 or best offer.

Harry Plantinga
planting@cs.pitt.edu

225 Alumni Hall