[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple 8-24 GC Card

demarsee@gamera.cns.syr.edu (Darryl E. Marsee) (04/10/90)

Does anyone know if the Apple 8-24 GC card as shipped will do 24-bit
color, or does it ship as 8-bit and you need the DRAM Expansion Kit
to allow it to do 24-bit?  If it does ship 24-bit capable, what does
the DRAM Expansion Kit buy you?

Darryl E. Marsee
Syracuse University
<demarsee@gamera.cns.syr.edu>

PACHINN@oregon.uoregon.edu (Patrick Chinn) (04/10/90)

  The 8-24 and the 8-24GC both will display 24-bit color out of the box.  The
DRAM is used to improve the performance of the 8-24GC when working with large
off screen bit maps and other nasties.

    Patrick Chinn   PACHINN@oregon.uoregon.edu

ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) (04/11/90)

demarsee@gamera.cns.syr.edu (Darryl E. Marsee) writes:
> Does anyone know if the Apple 8-24 GC card as shipped will do 24-bit
> color, or does it ship as 8-bit and you need the DRAM Expansion Kit
> to allow it to do 24-bit?  If it does ship 24-bit capable, what does
> the DRAM Expansion Kit buy you?

It depends on which monitor you are using.  All of the new Apple graphic
boards sence which Apple monitor is being used and set themselvs up
accordingly.  On a 13" Color RBG monitor you will get full 24-bit direct
color.  However on the Apple two page monocrome monitor you will only
get 8-bit (mayby only 4-bit I forget) grey scale.  The DRAM expansion
will be used by the new offscreen support that has been added to 32-bit
Quickdraw.  Thus if you have a fully loaded 8*24 GC (Which I think is
four Meg) not only do you get parallell processing on Quickdraw stuff
but if the program you are using uses the OffscreenGWorld calls the
memory for offscreen PixMaps may be allocated on your graphics board
too, thus freeing application memory.  I expect that a CopyBits call
of a 32-bit offscreen to the graphics device will be very fast in
this setup.

Pete Hoch

davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) (05/04/90)

Is the 8-24 GC the same thing as the "8-bit color video" card? I just
bought a IIcx with and 8-bit card and a 13" monitor. It is clearly
capable of 24-bit color (you know, 8 bits of red, 8 green, and 8 blue),
and also clearly seem to be using 8 bits per pixel to index a color map
where the translation to 24 -bits is made (I say all this just by doing
some observations with GIF files and a program called Image).

Now, am I totally insane about what I think my conclusions are about my
video card, or is it 24-bit color? You know, the standard marketing BS:
"A pallette of 16.7 million colors, with 256 of them available
simultaneously on the screen at a time!" (translation: colormap is 24
bits deep, with 256 entries; a pixel byte indexes into this table to get
the pixel color).

Is this the 8-24 card, or is it something different?

Dave Waller  \  The opinions expressed are solely my own, and in no way
Hewlett-Packard Co.  \  represent those of my employer (but we all know
dave@hpdstma.ptp.hp.com | hplabs!hpdstma!dave  \  they should!)

dhsieh@topaz.rutgers.edu (David Shea) (05/05/90)

In article <6830002@hp-ptp.HP.COM> davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) writes:
>Is the 8-24 GC the same thing as the "8-bit color video" card? I just
>bought a IIcx with and 8-bit card and a 13" monitor. It is clearly
>capable of 24-bit color (you know, 8 bits of red, 8 green, and 8 blue),
>and also clearly seem to be using 8 bits per pixel to index a color map
>where the translation to 24 -bits is made (I say all this just by doing
>some observations with GIF files and a program called Image).

If your card displays 256 colors, it's a 8-bit card.  If it's
capable of 24-bit color, it should be able to display as many
colors as you have pixels on your 13" monitor (307200 colors).

>Now, am I totally insane about what I think my conclusions are about my
>video card, or is it 24-bit color? You know, the standard marketing BS:
>"A pallette of 16.7 million colors, with 256 of them available
>simultaneously on the screen at a time!" (translation: colormap is 24
>bits deep, with 256 entries; a pixel byte indexes into this table to get
>the pixel color).

No, your card, or any other card which displays 256 colors out of a
pallete of 16.7 million colors, is called a 8-bit card.  The "standard
marketing BS" is not BS at all.  You can choose a pallete of 256 colors
from any of those 16.7 million colors.  The impressive array of colors
you see on you Image pallete, believe it or not, is only 256 colors.

>Is this the 8-24 card, or is it something different?

It's something different.  The 8-24 card is part of a new line of
Apple products which even my local Apple dealer can't get a hold of.

David Shea.

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/07/90)

In article <6830002@hp-ptp.HP.COM>, davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) writes:
> Is the 8-24 GC the same thing as the "8-bit color video" card? I just
> bought a IIcx with and 8-bit card and a 13" monitor. It is clearly
> capable of 24-bit color (you know, 8 bits of red, 8 green, and 8 blue),
> and also clearly seem to be using 8 bits per pixel to index a color map
> where the translation to 24 -bits is made (I say all this just by doing
> some observations with GIF files and a program called Image).

Well, the Macintosh world actually is quite alot better than the
average marketing. ALL color cards have 24bit depth in color generation,
the figure given is the number of colors you can USE at the same time.
(i.e., a 24bit card can display all pixels in individual colors, an
8-bit card only allows you 256 colors at the same time)

The 4- and 8-bit cards use indexing into a color table, while the
24bit cards explicitly specify the color for each pixel.

> Is this the 8-24 card, or is it something different?

The card you most probably have is the 4-8, which is 8 bits deep
(i.e. 256 color index) on small monitors (Apple 13" color) and
4 bits deep on larger (Apple 15" FPD)

Your card can be upgraded (with more memory) to the 8-24 card,
which is full 24bit color on small monitors, and 8 bits on large.

The $2,000 8-24 GC card is a completely different card, with a 30 MHz
kick-ass RISC graphics processor that takes over on graphics
operations, and completes them asynchronously while your mac does
better things. Trut me, you'd know if you had one.

Me ? I just have a RasterOps 24bit card in my SE/30 - it's slow but
looks nice. (Much faster in 1bit mode, though :-)

							h+

   ---  Stay alert !  -  Trust no one !  -  Keep your laser handy !  ---
             h+@nada.kth.se  ==  h+@proxxi.se  ==  Jon Watte
                    longer .sig available on request

cs223101@umbc5.umbc.edu (CMSC 223/01011) (05/08/90)

Actually, it'd be really amazing if they did have one, considering they're not
supposed to ship until August... :-)
[RICH]