[comp.sys.mac.hardware] UnMacLike Keyboard

kscott@cgl.ucsf.edu (05/07/90)

>Can I get a Mac keyboard with the CNTL in the "right" place.
>ie. CapsLock and CNTL reversed?

The default keybaord has things in the "right" place, assuming you are a unix
person.  Downgrade from the extended keyboard.  If you are a typist who likes
the caps lock to the left of the 'a', get an extended keyboard.

Most third party keyboards have the caps lock to the left of the 'a', I don't
know of an extended keyboard with the caps lock somewhere where it won't give
you an H of a time when you control-h.  While we're at it, has anyone tried
a dvorak keyboard?  Do they even make them for the mac?

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( ISR group account) (05/08/90)

about Dvoraks, one of my users who can't type is insisting one lerning to
type on a Dvorak. (after taking 5 years to switch to a Mac instead of an
IBM, and not even knowing how to use that, just out of stubbornness). I
looked hi and low, but no dvorak keyboards are to be found, but there is
a nice little FKEY at sumex called Electric Dvorak that switches you to
and from Dvorak mode. So now he's got two keyboards, one normal, and
one Dvora-cised by pulling the key caps off and moving them. (And believe
me it makes a h*ll of a mess with the key-sculpting, but if thats
what they want, dat's what dey get........

--
Mike Schechter, Computer Engineer,Institute Sensory Research, Syracuse Univ.
InterNet: isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu   Bitnet: SENSORY@SUNRISE

fiddler@concertina.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (05/09/90)

In article <3212@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( ISR group account) writes:

> about Dvoraks, one of my users who can't type is insisting one lerning to
> type on a Dvorak. (after taking 5 years to switch to a Mac instead of an
> IBM, and not even knowing how to use that, just out of stubbornness). I
> looked hi and low, but no dvorak keyboards are to be found, but there is
> a nice little FKEY at sumex called Electric Dvorak that switches you to
> and from Dvorak mode. So now he's got two keyboards, one normal, and
> one Dvora-cised by pulling the key caps off and moving them. (And believe
> me it makes a h*ll of a mess with the key-sculpting, but if thats
> what they want, dat's what dey get........

DON'T SWITCH THE KEYCAPS!!!

It's not going to help the person typing, what with all the strange slopes.

I'd advise using the FKEY, printing a screen shot of the Keycaps DA, and
taping the little picture just below the Mac's screen.  After a couple of
weeks, the new typist should be comfortable with the Dvorak layout, and
also won't be tempted to look at the keyboard except for some of the more
rarely-used keys...like maybe the top row of numbers/punctuation.

If the user learns to touch-type, without the crutch of looking at the
keyboard, things will probably be much better.  (That's how I did it years
ago on an Apple///.  Even at Apple, you couldn't get Dvorak keycaps...although
they made up a hundred or so prototype sets once.  I got three of them.  Still
have two of the sets.  Won't work on the ADB keyboards, though.)

Good luck to your user.

  The only drawback with morning is that it comes
    at such an inconvenient time of day.