[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Networking an HP DeskWriter

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) (05/05/90)

I want to put my Deskwriter on a LocalTalk network.  Can I (and has
anyone else ever) done this with Shiva's NetSerial box?

I heard that HP was going to be shipping new DWs with a LocalTalk
option... is this rumour?  If not, can we older owners get a
reasonable upgrade?

Thanks...

nrg

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (05/06/90)

In article <10665@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) writes:
>I want to put my Deskwriter on a LocalTalk network.  Can I (and has
>anyone else ever) done this with Shiva's NetSerial box?
>
>I heard that HP was going to be shipping new DWs with a LocalTalk
>option... is this rumour?  If not, can we older owners get a
>reasonable upgrade?
>nrg

Yes, The upgrade is now available.

Call customer support at (208) 323-2551.

They will send you a form which you send back with your printer.

The cost of the upgrade is $140, plus your shipping costs to get the
printer to them. WReturn shipping is included.

This upgrade cannot be done by dealers/service depots.

They claim 3-4 day turnaround.

I have not sent mine yet, but plan to soon.

Josh Hodas

Oh, yeah: for canadians the price is $160 canadian.

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (05/10/90)

My understanding is that there is an upgrade kit for around $150, although
my dealer claims not to have heard anything about it from HP yet.  (The
same dealer also has not yet received the upgraded printer driver.)

IMHO, $150 is a bit steep, and another example of the computer industry dumping
on early buyers of a new piece of hardware.  Come on, HP, those of us who
shelled out decent bucks for DeskWriters early on made it the success it is.
How about treating us fairly?
Mike Nolan                               "The King was in his Counting House,
Tailored Software Services, Inc.          Counting all his money..."
Lincoln, Nebraska (402) 423-1490
UUCP: tssi!nolan should work,
      if not try something like uunet!frith!upba!tssi!nolan