[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Ink smudging on Deskwriter

chet@Advansoft.COM (Chet Wood) (05/08/90)

I picked up a sample printout from the Deskwriter at HP's booth at
MacWorld. A few hours later, I rubbed it with my thumb and made a huge
smear. Someone said you can get special paper to get around this
problem. Was HP using the wrong paper to show off their printer???

Other than this, it would meet our needs-- the print quality is
adequate and it's probably quiet enough to not wake the baby. I'd hate
to have to spend double the money for a laser printer (if indeed I
could find one for that )...

How do people deal with the smudging problem?

Thanks,

Chet.
--
Chet Wood                       ~                         (408)727-3357
   chet@Advansoft.Com    .  Advansoft Research Corporation

news@netnews.upenn.edu (USENET News System) (05/09/90)

From: jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George J. Jefferson)

Xerox

gwangung@milton.acs.washington.edu (Roger Tang) (05/09/90)

In article <24660@netnews.upenn.edu> jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (George J. Jefferson) writes:
>>How do people deal with the smudging problem?

	I've heard spraying the paper with fixing spray (available at most
graphics arts supply stores) does the trick.  Confirmation?

fiddler@concertina.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (05/09/90)

In article <CHET.90May7170346@sol.Advansoft.COM>, chet@Advansoft.COM (Chet Wood) writes:
> I picked up a sample printout from the Deskwriter at HP's booth at
> MacWorld. A few hours later, I rubbed it with my thumb and made a huge
> smear.

Your thumb was probably slightly damp.  At least.

> Someone said you can get special paper to get around this
> problem. Was HP using the wrong paper to show off their printer???

No.  The ink used by the DeskWriter is water soluble.

> How do people deal with the smudging problem?

	1. Handle output carefully.

	2. Wait for HP to release their new non-smudging ink.

Rumor has it that the new ink should show up around the end of July.

------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes
    at such an inconvenient time of day.

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (05/10/90)

In article <24660@netnews.upenn.edu> jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (George J. Jefferson) writes:
>>How do people deal with the smudging problem?

Just run to the nearest copy center after you get the printout and make a
copy of your originals.

--
Saiid Paryavi                      			CIS Department
Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall, KSU