[comp.sys.mac.hardware] problems with FDHD formatting

Mac.Nut@p5.f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mac Nut) (05/25/90)

> I can't format disks with my FDHD. Any attempt to format
> a 1.44M or 800K floppy ends with the message "Initialization
> failed" after the system starts verificiation of the format.
> Copying to and writing from previous formatted disks is no
> problem. 400K floppies can be formatted without problem.
> I've tried different copies of system software including
> 6.0.5. The machine is a MacII with the FDHD upgrade.
>
> Has anyone had a similar problem or know a fix?
> --
> Donn Fishbein        ..!radar!donn

There a small utility called B.A.D. which helps format the FDHD floppy format
the HD floppies.  Good luck.

--
Mac Nut via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!343!31.5!Mac.Nut

cash@zug.csmil.umich.edu (Howard Cash) (05/27/90)

In article <1990May21.010606.1962@radar.uucp> donn@radar.uucp (D Fishbein) writes:
>I can't format disks with my FDHD. Any attempt to format
>a 1.44M or 800K floppy ends with the message "Initialization
>failed" after the system starts verificiation of the format.
>Has anyone had a similar problem or know a fix?
>--

I have a IIci and have had similar problems with my FDHD.  The
interesting part of this problem is that many 800K floppies that
the FDHD is not able to format ("Initialization failed" message)
format easily on my MacII with its standard (800k) drive.  After
disks have been initialized on the MacII, the MacIIci is able to
use them without complaint.

This problem has been reproduced at least six times on my local
hardware.  Any suggestions from the net?

-Hobart