[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Increasing memory in a Mac 512ke

dlee@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Damon Lee) (05/26/90)

Does anyone know where I can find information about increasing the memory
of a Mac 512ke to at least 1Mb.  I'm interested in building the upgrade
myself, since companies charge an arm and a leg for this upgrade.  Any
schematics or help is desired.  Actually, I'm not even sure how to open
the case.  However, I have no fear of soldering or making PC boards.
I'd also be interested if someone knows anybody who does this upgrade
cheaply.

Thanks,

Damon
dlee@tornado

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (05/26/90)

In article <1990May25.200338.8927@agate.berkeley.edu> dlee@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Damon Lee) writes:
#>
#>Does anyone know where I can find information about increasing the memory
#>of a Mac 512ke to at least 1Mb.  I'm interested in building the upgrade
#>myself, since companies charge an arm and a leg for this upgrade.  Any
#>schematics or help is desired.  Actually, I'm not even sure how to open
#>the case.  However, I have no fear of soldering or making PC boards.
#>I'd also be interested if someone knows anybody who does this upgrade
#>cheaply.
#>
#>Thanks,
#>
#>Damon
#>dlee@tornado

Check out the February 1990 issue of MacWorld which has
many, many pages of information on upgrading all varieties
of Macs (except the IIfx and IIci--the fx wasn't out then).

Steve Goldfield

straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) (05/29/90)

In article <1990May25.213938.13498@agate.berkeley.edu> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>In article <1990May25.200338.8927@agate.berkeley.edu> dlee@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Damon Lee) writes:
>#>
>#>Does anyone know where I can find information about increasing the memory
>#>of a Mac 512ke to at least 1Mb.  I'm interested in building the upgrade
>
>Check out the February 1990 issue of MacWorld which has
>many, many pages of information on upgrading all varieties
>of Macs (except the IIfx and IIci--the fx wasn't out then).

A company not in the above review (survey) is DigiGraphics.  I friend of mine
had his 512KE upgraded to a Plus equivalent by them, was very pleased, and
let me know about it.  I had mine similarly upgraded, and have been VERY
happy with the results.  The details:

At last count, for $200, they will take your 512KE motherboard and upgrade it
to a Mac Plus equivalent with SCSI and 0M of memory.  The daughter board has
4 SIMM sockets, and can handle up to 4MB of memory.  The upgrade uses some
wires roaming around the board, but is done very nicely.  I'm a EE and have
no problems with the way they have done it.

At $200, they certainly are the low-price leaders in this market.  They also
will populate the board with memory for pretty competitive prices.

They are a little "garage-shop" type outfit, but have reportedly done ~1000
of these so far.  The original lead was from an ad in the back of MacUser,
12/89.

Standard disclaimers apply.

Oops, their phone number (after 3:30 Mountain Time) is 801-544-2009.
The proprietor's name is Reed Barlow.
--
Richard Straka                  AT&T Bell Laboratories, IH-6K311
UUCP: att!ihlpf!straka          MSDOS: All the wonderfully arcane