[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Help formatting 160Mb CDC with Apple HD SC Setup

mlwiese@eagle.mit.edu (05/26/90)

In article <1990May24.222840.17053@portia.Stanford.EDU>
buckley@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (Margret Buckley) writes:
>         We just received our IIfx, for which we bought a non Apple CDC
> Imprimis-Wren 160 Mb drive.  We are also beta testing A/UX 2.0 which we
> would like to put on the IIfx. However, A/UX 2.0 will not run unless the
> hard disk has been formatted by the Apple HD SC Setup program, because
> other hard disk vendors have not had enough access to 2.0 to make their
> software partition their disks correctly.

Yesterday I installed A/UX 2.0 on a Quantum 105. First, you must use HD
Setup 2.0.1 that comes with System 6.0.5, since it's the only version so
far that knows about the new partitioning scheme used in A/UX 2.0. I added
step 5.1 to the following tip that was posted recently:
----
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 90 16:31:50 EDT
From: caputo@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Chris Caputo)

You can try this trick to get Apple HD SC setup to recognize your foreign
drive:
  1) Make a backup of Apple HD SC Setup
  2) Load ResEdit and open HD SC Setup.
  3) Look in the CODE resource, and open '%A5Init'.
  4) Scroll down through the hex data, until you get a bunch of hard drive
     names.
  5) Pick the first name, ('SEAGATE' on mine) and change the pascal length
     0. Do this by taking modifying the byte before the string starts.
Change
     this to 0 (00 hex). There may be a leading space so change the byte
     before that.
5.1) Repeat step 5 for every name listed.
  6) Quit ResEdit, saving the file.  Run HD SC.

What this does is trick HD SC setup into recognizing all drives as drives
which
it can work with.  The 0 replacement causes a string compare to always
return
true.
----
The standard setup allocates any extra space on a hard disk larger than 80
meg as another user partition in slice 3. I customized the partitioning to
make the slice 0 user&root partition include the extra space, and it
worked fine too.

Mike Wiese
mlwiese@eagle.mit.edu
Athena MacOS Project, MIT

jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (05/30/90)

I have heard from Apple (and thru comp.unix.aux) that you hard disk does
NOT have to be partitioned with HD-Setup for A/UX 2.0 to be installed and
run... SilverLining does work too...

|       Jim Jagielski                          NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1  |
|  jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov                    Greenbelt, MD 20771   |