[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Errors in Apple's new book of hardware

chou@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Chih-Hsiang Chou) (05/29/90)

I just had a short glance of the Apple's new book: "Guide to the
Macintosh Family Hardware, 2nd edition", published by the Addison
Wesley. It covers detail descriptions of various hardware components
of the whole Macintosh family line, from the obsolete Mac 128K to
the recent Mac IIfx. I find it much organized and informative than
the previous edition. However, in less than five minutes of reading,
I've found at least two errors in the book. I wonder how these obvious
errors were not caught before the print.

ERROR 1: in table 1-1 on page 2, the memory management IC of the Mac
	 portable is described as part of MC68030, a severe error.
	 The same erroneous table also appears on pages 48 and 88.

ERROR 2: on page 4, the last paragraph says that Mac SE has a faster
	 processor clock (16 MHz) than the Mac Plus, another severe error.

Does anyone find other errors?

--
Chih-Hsiang Chou	chou@cs.umn.edu
Department of Computer Science

noah@Apple.COM (Noah Price) (05/30/90)

In article <1990May29.063536.9195@cs.umn.edu> chou@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
(Chih-Hsiang Chou) writes:
>in less than five minutes of reading,
>I've found at least two errors in the book. I wonder how these obvious
>errors were not caught before the print.

Oops!  Looks like some stuff got mixed up...

I don't believe either of the problems you mentioned were present in
the "final draft."  I imagine some quick changes were made just before
the book went to press, and some mixup occurred.

As a reviewer for both the new Guide to Macintosh Family Hardware and
the new Designing Cards and Drivers book, I can assure you that the
writers were *very* conscientious, and made every effort to assure that
the information was accurate and up to date.

Please e-mail me any other problems you find -- I'll forward them to
the proper people in tech pubs, to help resolve any errors for future
revisions!  I'll watch for followups as well, but it's easier for me
to forward mail.

noah

noah@apple.com                             Mac IIci Hardware Design Team
...!{sun,decwrl}!apple!noah   (not the opinions of) Apple Computer, Inc.

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (05/30/90)

In article <41432@apple.Apple.COM> noah@Apple.COM (Noah Price) writes:
>Please e-mail me any other problems you find -- I'll forward them to
>the proper people in tech pubs, to help resolve any errors for future
>revisions!  I'll watch for followups as well, but it's easier for me
>to forward mail.

I don't mean to Apple-bash, but future revisions?  There's a word
I don't hear often.  I've been living with the multitude of
errors in Inside Mac I-V for years now, sans revisions which are
so sorely needed.  Finally SpInside Mac is coming, even though I'll
have to devote 8+ megs on my hard disks so I have the programming
reference manual that I should have had all the time.

*sigh*

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | Now that I'm employed,
Consultant                 | standard disclaimer applies.   :-)