[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Radius Monitor speed...

pierce@radius.com (Pierce T. Wetter III) (05/31/90)

pa1743@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Jethro Bodean) writes:

>      I have a MacII with a 19" Radius monitor.  I spend most of my
>time in apps like Pagemaker and I seem to spend ALOT of time
>watching the screen slowly redraw.  (Pagemaker seems to like to
>redraw alot....)  I'm wondering how much of this is:  A) the mac,
>B) a bottleneck at the slot or C) the monitors card processing
>information.

   Do you have an 8-bit system or a 32-bit system? It sounds like you have
 a 32 bit system if its that slow. In that case it is the mac. The monitor
 card processing info is just dumping memory into the video rams at nubus
 speeds (30 MHz)

> I saw that there is a new Radius card out with RISC
>chips and a Pantone matching system.  I was just wondering if it is
>possible and/or helpful to upgrade my card.  As far as I can tell
>the card is marked as v2.1 256K.  Where does everyone suppose my
>problem lies and what are the solutions?

   The new card is a QuickColor card (out since 5/89 actually) and it will
 work with your current display card, its a seperate accelerator. The card you
 were looking at was a GS/C card (it sounds like it anyways).

  The Pantone Matching System stuff is a product of PrecisionColor which is
 a seperate device that calibrates your display so that it doesn't change from
 week to week. It also allows you to change the color temperatur and gamma
 of your screen from the bluish white it is now to a paper white or somewhere
 in between. (That's my project so if you have some specific questions feel
 free to send them to me.)

>			-thanks in advance
>			Tod Kuykendall
>			pa1743%sdcc13@ucsd.edu
>PS  I see the fx is listed as "video included".
>What video system is that?  Will it support 19" color (the new Apple
>cards don't) and is it included in the upgrade.  Basically I'm
>considering the upgrade and I'm worried about the video
>compatibility.

  I'm not sure what you're talking about, and if I'm right its not announced
 yet.

Pierce
--
My postings are my opinions, and my opinions are my own not that of my employer.
You can get me at radius!pierce@apple.com.