[net.columbia] Challenger

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) (01/29/86)

Why not rename this group net.challenger in honor of those who died today.

bill@dayton.UUCP (Bill Argyros) (01/29/86)

I am very glad to find that I am not the only one who knows
that this is no reason to stop space exploration.  The problem
must be found and corrected before any more manned flights, but
this will happen.  It always has before.

	"Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous.  But
	to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly
	unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect"

I only wish the President had given credit for the first and
last lines from the poem he quoted:

	Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
	And danced the skies on laughter silvered wings,
	Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
	Of sunsplit clouds - and done a hundred things
	You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
	High in the sunlit silence.  Hovering there,
	I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
	My eager craft theough footless halls of air.
	Up, up the long delirious, burning blue
	I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
	Where never lark, or even eagle flew.
	And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
	The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
	Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

                                   John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

  The Dream is Still Alive.

--

UUCP: ihnp4!rosevax!dayton!bill         Bill Argyros
ATT : (612) 375-6651                    Dayton Hudson Department Store Company

"If we die, we want people to accept it.  We're in a risky business, and we
hope if anything happens to us, it will not delay the program.  The conquest
of space is worth the risk of life."

					Virgil I. Grissom
					commander, Apollo 1
					speaking a few weeks before his
					death in the Apollo fire
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

hankb@teklds.UUCP (Hank Buurman) (01/30/86)

In article <394@tekigm2.UUCP> wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) writes:
>Why not rename this group net.challenger in honor of those who died today.

I second Bill's suggestion. This great ship, and her gallent crew, will
be engraved on our hearts forever.

--

    Hank Buurman      Tektronix Inc.      ihnp4!tektonix!tekla!hankb
    "The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you

In article <1575@teklds.UUCP> hankb@teklds.UUCP (Hank Buurman) writes:
>In article <394@tekigm2.UUCP> wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) writes:
>>Why not rename this group net.challenger in honor of those who died today.
>
>I second Bill's suggestion. This great ship, and her gallent crew, will
>be engraved on our hearts forever.
>
>    Hank Buurman      Tektronix Inc.      ihnp4!tektonix!tekla!hankb
>   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>    "The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you
>   have burned so very very brightly, Roy". -- Dr. Tyrell, Tyrell Corp.
>   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 My apologies for the inappropriate .signature on the above posting.

--

       Hank Buurman    Tektronix Inc.   ihnp4!tektronix!tekla!hankb
   -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

roper@chinet.UUCP (Bill Roper) (01/30/86)

If there is any justice, the names of the seven men in the crew will not be
used as justification to substitute unmanned flight for manned.

My next door neighbor, Doug Van Dorn, saw something in the slow motion
replay of the explosion which appears to be Challenger, tumbling in the
fraction of a second after the shuttle was engulfed in flame.  The image is
white-hot, glowing brighter than the surrounding explosion, which seems
reasonable for the silica tiles.  Challenger seems to come broadside to
the camera for a moment, then continues to tumble.  The last that can be
seen is the tail disappearing where the nose of the shuttle had been
before the explosion.

I mention this because the commentators on ABC didn't see it and I
thought that it might be of some interest.  It shows up very clearly
when you run the super-slow-motion films frame by frame on a VCR.
--
Bill Roper, ihnp4!chinet!roper

coffin@mot.UUCP (Dracula) (01/30/86)

Would someone please post to this newsgroup the complete words
to the poem "High Flight".

Thank You.

Chris Coffin
ihnp4!mot!coffin