[net.columbia] Challenger and the Media

mdm@pur-ee.UUCP (Mike D McEvoy) (02/04/86)

As fate would have it, I was on the way to the airport when the news came over
the radio about the Challenger.  I turned on the old Watchman TV to catch the
instant replay.  The ability to be instantly in touch with the rest of the
world is amazing.

As I proceeded on my journey that day, I ended up in Concord, NH
that evening.  I stopped at a grocery store and was struck by the incredible
grief of everone...  The only noise was of the the cash registers.  Then the
MEDIA struck and the next thing I knew there was a camera in my face and a
very insensitive reporter was asking " and how do YOU feel about the....?".
About a half hour later I stopped by the local Catholic church to spend a few
moments reflecting on the days events and once again a camera popped into my
face.

I will never understand the mind of some reporters.  How a human being can
be that insensitive  to walk into a town and start asking "and how do
you feel..?" I will never know.  I guess it takes a special type of sub-
human.  I don't feel bad for myself.  My grief over the loss did not
prevent me from expressing my opinion effectively to both reporters. I
do feel sorry for the students, parents and others who were subjected
to this indecent act.  Several could only respond with a cry of utter
despair, a sound that I will remember almost as long as the picture of
the Challenger disappearing into a fireball.

May the Challenger Team rest in peace and may the dream continue.

Mike McEvoy

credmond@watmath.UUCP (Chris Redmond) (02/05/86)

In article <3698@pur-ee.UUCP> mdm@pur-ee.UUCP (Mike D McEvoy) writes:
>MEDIA struck and the next thing I knew there was a camera in my face and a
>very insensitive reporter was asking " and how do YOU feel about the....?".
>
>I will never understand the mind of some reporters.  How a human being can
>be that insensitive  to walk into a town and start asking "and how do
>you feel..?" I will never know.  I guess it takes a special type of sub-
>human.  I don't feel bad for myself.  My grief over the loss did not
>prevent me from expressing my opinion effectively to both reporters. I

I think this criticism is a trifle unreasonable.  The Challenger disaster
has been generally recognized as a national, if not international, event
of major proportions -- one of those once-a-decade occurrences that have
all Americans weeping together (or cheering, should the astonishing event
be a happy one, such as the release of the Iranian hostages).  Such
unanimity of feeling and thought happens chiefly because of the media,
television in particular, which repeat and amplify and repeat and explore
and repeat the appropriate emotion.  When the event is the unexpected death
of a group of heroes, that media repetition takes the form of the sounds
and pictures of a nation crying.

  Chris