[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Powerdrive experience

marc_h@ele.tue.nl (Marc Heijligers) (06/04/90)

I am planning to buy a 60 or 80 Mb harddisk. I have seen some advertisements
in the MacUser. Hard Drives International sells 60 Mb HD's for $449 and 80Mb
for $499. Has anyone any experience with these HD's? Is the power-supply
suitable for 220 Volts (European). How is the delivery of HD International?
Is a seagate 28 ms fast enough to serve a Mac Plus?

If you know any answer, please mail me.

Thanks in advance.
Marc Heijligers
marc_h@ele.tue.nl

arends@metaphor.metaphor.com (Dale M Arends) (06/06/90)

In article <506@al.ele.tue.nl> marc_h@ele.tue.nl (Marc Heijligers) writes:
>I am planning to buy a 60 or 80 Mb harddisk. I have seen some advertisements
>in the MacUser. Hard Drives International sells 60 Mb HD's for $449 and 80Mb
>for $499. Has anyone any experience with these HD's? Is the power-supply
>suitable for 220 Volts (European). How is the delivery of HD International?
>Is a seagate 28 ms fast enough to serve a Mac Plus?
>
>If you know any answer, please mail me.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Marc Heijligers
>marc_h@ele.tue.nl

I recently got a 45 Meg Removable drive from them.  It came with an INIT
and formatting software.  The drive was fine.  the delivery time was good.
The software was not too good.  It consistently caused intermittant crashes
of the system.  (consistent...intermittant??? Yeah, I could depend on it to
crash but not exactly when.)  The system was a vanilla System/Finder (6.0.5)
on a Mac IIcx.  Software was MacWrite/Word/White Knight/... or almost any
other program that opens a window.  I finally had to send it back for a
refund.

However, I feel that the problem was in the software or the drive itself.  As
to the company or the people, I would do business with them again without
hesitation.  They were consistently helpful.

Dale

Dale M. Arends					Metaphor Computer Systems, Inc.
arends@metaphor.com
Any opinions expressed herein are my own and not those of my employer.  They
probably aren't interested and maybe don't agree and therefore ...