[net.columbia] Thrust percentage

morgan@h-sc1.UUCP (windsor morgan) (01/31/86)

     This has probably been discussed before, but as I have never read this
     group before today, I would like to know exactly what the thrust
     percentage is of. That is, what is the '104%' 104% **of**? When I first
     heard this on earlier shuttle flights, I thought that it meant that the
     shuttle was performing better than specifications, but during the ascents,
     the thrust  **always** goes as high as 104%. Why this and not 100%?

     I hope this is understandable. Please mail me the answer. Thanks.
--
                             Windsor Morgan
                             {decvax,ihnp4}!seismo!harvard!{h-sc1,h-sc4}!morgan

berry@tolerant.UUCP (David Berry) (02/03/86)

>      This has probably been discussed before, but as I have never read this
>      group before today, I would like to know exactly what the thrust
>      percentage is of. That is, what is the '104%' 104% **of**? When I first
>      heard this on earlier shuttle flights, I thought that it meant that the
>      shuttle was performing better than specifications, but during the ascents,

	100% is the maximum amount of power which can be applied continuously.
The engines are actually capable of producing about 110% of the continuous
power rating.
--

	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.UUCP

	I'm only here for the beer.

allen@mmm.UUCP (Kurt Allen) (02/04/86)

In article <902@h-sc1.UUCP> morgan@h-sc1.UUCP (windsor morgan) writes:

> I would like to know exactly what the thrust
> percentage is of. That is, what is the '104%' 104% **of**?

	The 104 % is 104% of the original maximum rated power of the
	shuttle engines. The engines have been modified and rerated so
	that they can put out 109 % of the original maximum rated power.
	I don't believe that they have ever been run that high.

> I thought that it meant that the
> shuttle was performing better than specifications, but during the ascents,
> the thrust  **always** goes as high as 104%. Why this and not 100%?

	This change was made to the shuttle engines to allow the shuttle
	to carry more cargo into orbit. The current shuttle can not carry
	the 60,000 pounds of cargo into low earth orbit that it was
	originaly designed to do. I am not sure, but I think this is due
	to the shuttle being overweight.

--
	Kurt W. Allen
	3M Center

morgan@h-sc1.UUCP (windsor morgan) (02/05/86)

In <902@h-sc1.UUCP> I asked:

>     This has probably been discussed before, but as I have never read this
>     group before today, I would like to know exactly what the thrust
>     percentage is of. That is, what is the '104%' 104% **of**? When I first
>     heard this on earlier shuttle flights, I thought that it meant that the
>     shuttle was performing better than specifications, but during the ascents,
>     the thrust  **always** goes as high as 104%. Why this and not 100%?
>
>     I hope this is understandable. Please mail me the answer. Thanks.

I received a number of replies, and the gist of it is that people think that
the percentage refers to the original specifications:

---------------------(Message 1)

From: harvard!topaz!nike!riacs!aurora!eugene (Eugene miya)
To: ames!riacs!nike!topaz!harvard!h-sc1!morgan

You will probably get a ton of these.  The shuttle engines are
rated about 119% of some original spec.  We are working on improvements
to take them even higher.  The original spec has long since been
dropped.

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,hao,dual,ihnp4,vortex}!ames!aurora!eugene
  eugene@ames-nas.ARPA

-----------------------(Message 2)

From: ingham <harvard!cmcl2!lanl!unm-la!unmvax!unmc.cc!ingham>
To: unmvax.ARPA!lanl!cmcl2!harvard!h-sc1!morgan

the thrust is compared to the thrust produced by Columbia's original
main engines.  The engines have since been improved and can produce more
thrust.

Kenneth Ingham, UNM Computing Center, Albuquerque, NM 87131, 505-277-8044
    ~{pur-ee!purdue,ucbvax!lbl-csam,philabs!cmcl2}!lanl!unmc!ingham
    ~{convex,ucbvax,gatech,csu-cs,anl-mcs}!unmvax!unmc!ingham

Thanks a lot for your help in answering this question.
--
'Verily, there be no leader as wise as the Vision!'

                             Windsor Morgan
                             Harvard College
                             Cambridge, MA 02138