[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Jitters with Two Screens

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (05/30/90)

On our Macintosh called the "common use mac", we have all
sorts of bells and whistles, cd-rom, scanner, DaynaFile,
120Meg, 8meg, IICX with both a 19" gray scale and a 12" RGB
monitors (both apple brand).

My problem is that the rgb monitor causes extreme jitter
in the gray scale monitor.  This is confirmed by powering
off the RGB monitor and verifying that the jitter disappears.
We have reduced the problem somewhat by placing a aluminum rack
panel between the monitors.  Most likely a grounded steel
panel would fix it altogether but that is not the point.

The point is, what is wrong that causes this problem in the
first place?  The repair techs say that everything is ok on
the monitors.
=    John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Division           =
=                   e-mail: ...uunet!motcid!derosaj                         =
=                Applelink: N1111                                           =
= I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =
=      nor am I responsible for anything my employer may do or say.         =

chi@tybalt.caltech.edu (delta chi) (05/31/90)

In article <3285@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:

>My problem is that the rgb monitor causes extreme jitter
>in the gray scale monitor.  This is confirmed by powering
>off the RGB monitor and verifying that the jitter disappears.
>We have reduced the problem somewhat by placing a aluminum rack
>panel between the monitors.  Most likely a grounded steel
>panel would fix it altogether but that is not the point.
>
>The point is, what is wrong that causes this problem in the
>first place?  The repair techs say that everything is ok on
>the monitors.

Everything is in fact quite normal.  Nearly all (I am tempted
to say ALL, but I know someone is going to say, ``But what about
the Yoyodyne Model X?'') display monitors are serious emitters of
radiofrequencies from the sides and the rear.  RGB displays are
particularly evil in this regard.

For the same reason (no real shielding on the sides) RF interferes with
an adjacent display.  Putting the aluminum rack panel between the two
monitors provides some shielding.

The real moral of the story is: ALWAYS sit in front of the monitor.  I'm
definitely not of the alarmist school of thought, but there is
increasing evidence that extended exposure to the radiation from the
sides of the monitor is not a good thing.

---
...!ames!elroy!cit-vax!chi       Curt Hagenlocher       chi@cit-vax.caltech.edu
"You can't tell me anything about South Africa, Mozambique, Angola, or
 anywhere and make me believe you're sincere as long as you keep quiet
 about what the United States is doing to us in that country." -- Malcom X

JON@wehi.dn.mu.oz (Jon Eaves) (05/31/90)

In article <3285@crystal9.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> [ Jitter Problem on Mac Grey Scale Screen ]
>
> The point is, what is wrong that causes this problem in the
> first place?  The repair techs say that everything is ok on
> the monitors.
I have the misfortune to have to work with IBM PC's for a living, and
we deal with ATVista cards and external monitors all the time.  This is
a common occurrence, and it is the proximity of the two monitors.  The
internals of the RGB monitor is intefering with the other (something to
to with magnetic fields, don't flame me I'm a programmer not a hardware
tech.).  Try shifting the RGB monitor further away (if possible) and that
should alleviate the problem somewhat.

I have notices that Electrohome 19" monitors have been the worst and
Mitsubishi screens have been the best.  I have no connection with the
above companies except that we use their equipment.
  Jon Eaves
               "We, we are going to make you an offer
                you, you can't refuse" - The Maltese Falcon

ACSnet    ( jon@wehi.dn.mu.oz )
UUCP      ( uunet!munnari!wehi.dn.mu.oz!jon )
Internet  ( jon%wehi.dn.mu.oz@uunet.uu.net )

broe@plains.UUCP (Paul Broe) (06/06/90)

Can you say magnetic fields? (I thought you could!)

The magnetic fields are interfering with each other. (An unshielded speaker
placed next to either monitor would produce a similar effect.)

--
/ "I have seen my next computer, and it is the Amiga 3000." - me            /