[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Sigma L-View

sh2u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Scott T. Huang) (06/06/90)

I saw that Sigma L-View has begun shipping. Has anyone tried it out yet?
Can you tell me how you feel about it? Is it worth the $2000? Better
yet, anyone know the street price for it? Is it gray-scale or plain
black and white?

dankg@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) (06/06/90)

In article <0aP0lom00WBMM1m5sA@andrew.cmu.edu> sh2u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Scott T. Huang) writes:
>I saw that Sigma L-View has begun shipping. Has anyone tried it out yet?
>Can you tell me how you feel about it? Is it worth the $2000? Better
>yet, anyone know the street price for it? Is it gray-scale or plain
>black and white?

	I was working for Sigma as a tester.  Totally it was a great product.
Hires-mode was so crisp that it made me feel meserable to work with my small
SE screen.  And it was fast, too.  And it has excellent utilities working
on Big screen.
	It needs nothing special for Mac II.  It uses CDEV for SE, which I
was testing.  And The CDEV is great.  The most amazing feature is that you
can switch resolution runtime.  It had a few conflicts with International
System such as KanjiTalk, also I tested, But most problem was solved just
by renaming the CDEV so it loads in before others--the CDEV changes QD
coordinates and some INITs/CDEVs (KanjiTalk depends on CDEV et al.) will
not renew it.  So it still has some trouble runtime resolution switches
but it's rather other application's problem that it doesn't constantly
check QD coordinates.
	In total, it's a bargain value--it has one of the best resolutions in
HiRes mode and it looks more reliable than Radius since it uses few parts.
You won't be disapointed (I myself can't afford it, tho)

Dan Kogai (dankg@ocf.berkeley.edu)

sh2u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Scott T. Huang) (06/07/90)

Thank you Dan for your helpful insight, but you still haven't told me if
it is grayscale or not (if it is, how many shades of gray?)

dankg@volcano.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) (06/07/90)

In article <kaPPGku00WBKE1Wncr@andrew.cmu.edu> sh2u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Scott T. Huang) writes:
>Thank you Dan for your helpful insight, but you still haven't told me if
>it is grayscale or not (if it is, how many shades of gray?)

	Oops, I forgot to tell you.  Unfortunately, as of this time the
answer is no.  I think display itself has a capability of showing grayscale
but there's no glayscale card available yet.  This also apply Sigma's other
B&W products, PageView and SilverView.  I hope they work for it in future.

Dan Kogai (dankg@ocf.berkeley.edu)