[comp.sys.mac.hardware] New FDHDs - reliable?

gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) (06/06/90)

Last week in this newsgroup there was much discussion concerning the
large number of hardware problems people were having with their FDHD
floppy drives.  Have the FDHDs being made now had these problems
corrected yet?  If I buy a new macintosh today, am I going to be given
some squirrely hardware?

--
thomas willett
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt4586c

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (06/09/90)

In article <10160@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) writes:
>Last week in this newsgroup there was much discussion concerning the
>large number of hardware problems people were having with their FDHD
>floppy drives.

I've had a number of problems with my month-old IIcx's FDHD.  I'm not sure
that "hardware problem" properly characterizes them, though.  The drive
seems reliable enough reading and writing high-density floppies.  It also
appears to be fine at reading and writing 800K disks which were initialized
on a Mac Plus, or older Mac II.  Formatting *new* 800K disks would appear
to be OK also.  The problems I've noticed involve trying to re-initialize
*used* 800K disks which were formatted on a Mac Plus.

In one case, I had about a 45% failure rate trying to do this with a fairly
large number of disks (~50).  When we re-initialize used disks on our Mac
Plusses, a 10% failure rate would be more typical.

>If I buy a new macintosh today, am I going to be given
>some squirrely hardware?

Again, I don't think "squirrely hardware" is accurate, but I wouldn't be
surprised if you experienced compatability problems with 800K disks in
the FDHD....