[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Experience with Grappler

thegerm@alchemy.UUCP (Joel Lingenfelter) (06/08/90)

    I have only used the grappler once, and it was on a Mac IICX connected to a
HP Laser IIP.  What I got was very slow and very unreliable.  I managed to
print a few MacDraw documents after a few minutes of waiting, but when I tried
to print one of the sample files from Word 4.0, the newsletter, I waited 10
minutes with absolutely no output whatsoever.  I finally gave up.  The grappler
is really slow, and the salesman I was talking to basically agreed with me that
it has worked really slow for them too.  A friend of mine has a deskwriter,
which prints great, and is pretty fast.  If speed and reliability are important
to you, go with the Deskwriter for the extra $200.

Joel Lingenfelter, Biola University
"I'm just a student, so the University speaks for me..."

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (06/09/90)

In article <26@alchemy.UUCP> thegerm@alchemy.UUCP (Joel Lingenfelter) writes:
> I have only used the grappler once, and it was on a Mac IICX connected to
> a HP Laser IIP.  What I got was very slow and very unreliable.

Try one of the chooser level drivers for the LaserJet series.  Both
my brother and I use MacPrint.  He has a IIP, I use the Epson EPL-6000.
The driver is very fast and works real well.  I have not had any glitches
with it.

The only caveat is that you need at least 1 M-Byte memory in your printer
if you expect to print a full page at 300 dpi.

I have also heard of JetScript, and I have not heard anything bad about it.
It differs from MacPrint in font technology by offering outline fonts for
the LaserJet.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john