[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Daystar correction

jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (06/08/90)

It seems that the Daystar Accelerator card does NOT need the new MacIIx/
IIcx ROM's as I have previously said. The Daystar card has a "chip" that
goes into the AMU/PMMU socket that alleviates this need.

However, most other MacII 68030 upgrades DO REQUIRE the new ROM's. All the
cards which simply replace the '020 with the '030 will not know how to
access the PMMU functions of the 68030.

Sorry 'bout that!

 #include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =8^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

name@portiaStanford.EDU (tony cooper) (06/10/90)

In article <2294@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim
Jagielski) writes:
> However, most other MacII 68030 upgrades DO REQUIRE the new ROM's. All the
> cards which simply replace the '020 with the '030 will not know how to
> access the PMMU functions of the 68030.

Not true. The SiClone 68030 upgrades work with the old ROM's. So it does
know how to access the PMMU. They also run A/UX with no problems.