[comp.sys.mac.hardware] ** Thanks. Hairlines are normal. End of thread. **

tejtemw@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk (EARL WILLIAMS) (06/11/90)

In article <1990Jun8.192304.4492@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk>, I wrote:

>Are visible horizontal hairlines in large-screen monitors just a fact of
>life that we have to live with?  Every monitor I've installed or seen seems
>to have 1-3 of these super-thin but sometimes distracting lines.  The
>vertical location varies, but there is most often one about 1/3 of the way
>up from the bottom.

Thanks for all your responses, both over the net and via e-mail.  To
summarize the answer to my question, I enclose one of these responses:

> From: Walter Smith <wrs@com.apple>
> Subject: Re: hairlines a common monitor fault?
>
> Those lines are the shadows of shadow-mask tension wires.  They are part
> of the design of Sony Trinitron picture tubes, which are used in the
> Apple color monitor and most two-page color monitors.  Small monitors,
> like the Apple 13", have only one wire (visible on the Apple about 1/4
> of the way up).  Big monitors have more.
>
> There's nothing you can do about them other than to use a monitor with a
> non-Trinitron tube; the disadvantage is that Sony makes the best tubes,
> except for those stupid lines.

Thank you and good night.
--
Earl M. Williams            ?8^)    "No matter where you go, there you are."
Inst. of Education, U. of London                            -Buckaroo Banzai