[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Toshiba vs. Apple CD-ROM

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (06/07/90)

I'm interested in getting a CD-ROM player in the near future, and from
what I've heard, the two best are the Toshiba and the Apple players.

The prices are fairly competitive, so I was wondering whether anyone
had experiences (either good or bad) with either one.  I've also heard
that the Toshiba is significantly faster than the Apple player -- is
this true, or just rumor?

Post or email responses, and I'll summarize any that I get.

I'm especially interested in the Toshiba player, since AGFA is running
a special (their ad appeared in this week's MacWEEK): for $975 you get
the Toshiba player plus a CD-ROM containing the entire Adobe Type
Library and 260 AGFA fonts.  You can then use any 20 of the fonts.  To
use more than the 20 you select initially, you call an 800 number and
give them your credit card number -- they then give you a code which
unlocks the font you want to buy.

This seems like a really good deal, and it may be what convinces me to
get the Toshiba player in the end.  If anyone is interested, you can
call AGFA at (800) 227-2780, ext. 700 for more info.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (06/12/90)

Here are the two responses I received (I'll summarize at the end):

--- Response 1 ---

  Date: Fri, 8 Jun 90 16:41:01 PDT
  From: david@wilbur.coyote.trw.com (David Hull)
  To: baumgart@esquire.dpw.com
  Subject: Re: Toshiba vs. Apple CD-ROM
  Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware

  In comp.sys.mac.hardware you write:
  >I'm especially interested in the Toshiba player, since AGFA is running
  >a special (their ad appeared in this week's MacWEEK): for $975 you get
  >the Toshiba player plus a CD-ROM containing the entire Adobe Type
  >Library and 260 AGFA fonts.  You can then use any 20 of the fonts.  To
  >use more than the 20 you select initially, you call an 800 number and
  >give them your credit card number -- they then give you a code which
  >unlocks the font you want to buy.

  I've noticed the AGFA ad in MacWEEK also.  However, the Toshiba CD-ROM
  drive in the picture isn't the one that you've read the reviews about.
  The one I've seen reviewed is the Toshiba XM3201, which takes CDs in
  a CD caddy.  The one in the picture has a sliding drawer like an audio
  CD player.  I don't know if the mechanism is the same.

  The ad seems to imply "buy 20 fonts for $975 and get a free CD-ROM
  player."  If that's the case then the fonts are no bargain.  Twenty
  fonts would cost about $925 from Adobe (A package which contains four
  fonts costs $185), but the street price would be more like $650.
  With the AGFA CD-ROM you have no opportunity to get a discount on
  the fonts (unless AGFA offers one).

  Maya Computer has the Apple CD SC player advertised for $649.  I think
  that it is equivalent to the Toshiba XM3201 (which they also carry, for
  $875).

  I'm intrigued by the AGFA offer, and plan to give them a call.  If the
  mechanism is the same, then I consider the lack of a need for a CD caddy
  to be a feature.

  -David

--- Response 2 ---

  Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 12:38:44 PDT
  From: dplatt@coherent.com
  To: baumgart@esquire.dpw.com
  Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware

  In article <2061@esquire.UUCP> you write:

  > I'm interested in getting a CD-ROM player in the near future, and from
  > what I've heard, the two best are the Toshiba and the Apple players.

  Toshiba makes two players... the XM-3201 (a caddy-loading mechanism in a
  5.25" form-factor, suitable for internal mounting in a PC, and sold in a
  Mac configuration mounted in such a case) and another model (a
  tray-loading drive built around an audio CD player chassis).  The
  tray-loading drive is less expensive than the XM-3201, and is also
  somewhat slower... Toshiba's representative at the Systems/USA show this
  spring described it to me as an "entry-level" CD-ROM drive, for those
  who cannot justify buying the faster-but-more-expensive XM-3201.

  The drive which appears in AGFA's ad in MacWeek is the entry-level
  tray-loader, not the XM-3201.

  > The prices are fairly competitive, so I was wondering whether anyone
  > had experiences (either good or bad) with either one.

  I have an XM-3201, which I bought as a bare drive mechanism (the "PC"
  model, minus the AT-bus SCSI controller card normally shipped with it).
  I stuffed it into the spare half-height slot in an external SCSI box I'd
  put together some months previously (the other slot holds a Teac
  streaming tape drive).  The combination works quite nicely.

  I like the XM-3201 a lot.  It's quiet when operating, fast (as CD-ROM
  drives go), and it reads both CD-ROMs and plays audio CDs quite well.  I
  bought a couple of extra caddies at MacWorld ($10 each from EduCorp), so
  I can keep a couple of frequently-used CD-ROMs loaded, and still have an
  extra caddy for audio CDs and infrequently-used CD-ROMs.

  The software driver (OEM'ed from Optical Media International) is
  trouble-free.  It works fine with Apple's Foreign File Exchange
  software, so it can be used with ISO 9660 and High Sierra CD-ROMs.

  >                                                   I've also heard
  > that the Toshiba is significantly faster than the Apple player -- is
  > this true, or just rumor?

  The XM-3201 is perhaps the fastest CD-ROM drive available on the market
  today... it's certainly up there among the top few.  Using a CD-ROM in
  this drive feels rather like using a gigantic, fast floppy disk... seeks
  are faster, overall, than with an 800k floppy, and large files read in
  more quickly.  The drive definitely "feels" faster than the Apple CD-ROM
  drive I played with about 18 months ago.  MacUser's tests a couple of
  months ago agree that the high-end Toshiba is faster than the Apple.

  > Post or email responses, and I'll summarize any that I get.
  >
  > I'm especially interested in the Toshiba player, since AGFA is running
  > a special (their ad appeared in this week's MacWEEK): for $975 you get
  > the Toshiba player plus a CD-ROM containing the entire Adobe Type
  > Library and 260 AGFA fonts.  You can then use any 20 of the fonts.  To
  > use more than the 20 you select initially, you call an 800 number and
  > give them your credit card number -- they then give you a code which
  > unlocks the font you want to buy.
  >
  > This seems like a really good deal, and it may be what convinces me to
  > get the Toshiba player in the end.  If anyone is interested, you can
  > call AGFA at (800) 227-2780, ext. 700 for more info.

  It may be a good deal, or may not be.  The player that AGFA is bundling
  with their CD-ROM has a list price of about $200 less than the XM-3201,
  I believe.  If you're planning to use it only occasionally, it should do
  fine;  if you're planning heavy use, you might want to spring for the
  faster (and perhaps more rugged) XM-3201.
  --
  Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
    UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

-- End of responses --

So the AGFA deal isn't as good as it first seemed -- the Toshiba
mentioned in the ad isn't the same as the one that's been getting rave
reviews.

Also, the Toshiba XM-3201 is definitely faster than the Apple CD.  I
got the March 1990 issue of MacUser from a friend and read the review.
They do indeed show that the Toshiba is the faster drive.  However,
it's not clear from the review just how much faster it is (my guess,
looking at the graphs, is that it's about 20% to 25% faster).

Whether that's worth the difference in price ($649 for the Apple vs.
$875 for the Toshiba, as David Hull pointed out above) is another
question, but now at least I have something more than just rumor to go
on.

Thanks again for the responses.