[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Remember the HD20? How do I use it?

bwbecker@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Byron Weber Becker) (06/12/90)

I've picked up an old HD20 -- a pre-SCSI hard disk -- for
a friend's 512K Mac.  I've got the HD20 init.  Questions:

0. Is it as simple as connecting the HD20 to the floppy
   port and putting the init in the system folder?

1. Can the Mac be booted off the HD20?

2. What's the latest system/finder that can be used?

3. Can the HD20 have a HFS, or does it need to be the old
   flat file scheme?

4. If it must be a flat file, what techniques can be used
   to keep data organized?

5. What is the latest system that can be used with a Mac
   512K (400K disk drives) WITHOUT the HD20?

Thanks
Byron Weber Becker
bwbecker@watdragon.waterloo.edu

barrey@ka.excelan.com (Barrey Jewall) (06/13/90)

In article <1990Jun12.130417.4698@watdragon.waterloo.edu> bwbecker@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Byron Weber Becker) writes:
>I've picked up an old HD20 -- a pre-SCSI hard disk -- for
>a friend's 512K Mac.  I've got the HD20 init.  Questions:
>
>0. Is it as simple as connecting the HD20 to the floppy
>   port and putting the init in the system folder?

In a word, yes.

>1. Can the Mac be booted off the HD20?

This shouldn't be a problem if the mac has the new (Mac Plus, 512E) ROMs, If the
512 has an 800K Internal Drive, it probably has the new ROMs, If not, you must
boot from a floppy with the HD20 init in the system Folder.

>2. What's the latest system/finder that can be used?

As far as I am aware, Finder 5.3, System 3.2

>3. Can the HD20 have a HFS, or does it need to be the old
>   flat file scheme?

Not Only CAN it have HFS, It is required. The file HD20 is a RAM-Based version
of HFS, whereas the new ROMs contain the HFS code already, and thus the HD20
init is not required with them.

>4. If it must be a flat file, what techniques can be used
>   to keep data organized?

n/a

>5. What is the latest system that can be used with a Mac
>   512K (400K disk drives) WITHOUT the HD20?

Finder 5.3, System 3.2

The best way to keep this a useful system, IMHO, is to upograde to an 800K
internal Drive, with the new ROM's. This will free up some of your RAM, and
will let the HD20 boot from itself.

By the way, I know some people have had limited success with System S/W 5.0 and
above on a 512K Mac, but the 5.3/3.2 combo is Apple's suggested setup.

>Thanks
>Byron Weber Becker
>bwbecker@watdragon.waterloo.edu

If this helps, you're quite welcome.
Barrey-

+===============================+================================+
+ "Well-informed people know it is impossible to transmit the    +
+ voice over wires and that were it possible to do so, the       +
+ thing would be of no practical value"                          +
+  Editorial in the Boston Post, 1865...                         +
+================================================================+
+ Barrey Jewall                 ++ "My opinions are my opinions" +
+ Information Services          ++ (rather self-evident, eh?)    +
+ Novell, Inc.                  ++				 +
+ San Jose, Calif. USA          ++     barrey@novell.com         +
+ (408) 473-8623                ++				 +
+===============================+================================+

philip@Pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (06/13/90)

In article <1990Jun12.130417.4698@watdragon.waterloo.edu>,
bwbecker@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Byron Weber Becker) writes:
> I've picked up an old HD20 -- a pre-SCSI hard disk -- for
> a friend's 512K Mac.  I've got the HD20 init.  Questions:
>
> 0. Is it as simple as connecting the HD20 to the floppy
>    port and putting the init in the system folder?
No. if the Mac is an original 512K machine, it can't boot off the
HD20. You need to boot off a 400K diskette with the init. If it
has the Mac Plus ROMs (512KE), it can use the HD20 directly, and doesn't
need the init at all.
> 1. Can the Mac be booted off the HD20?
Yes, but only if you have the MacPlus ROMs.
> 2. What's the latest system/finder that can be used?
Someone else will have to answer this.
> 3. Can the HD20 have a HFS, or does it need to be the old
>    flat file scheme?
The HD20 formats as HFS by default (I don't know how to format it as MFS).
> 4. If it must be a flat file, what techniques can be used
>    to keep data organized?
See 3.
> 5. What is the latest system that can be used with a Mac
>    512K (400K disk drives) WITHOUT the HD20?
I don't know again - but if the machine has 400K drives, it won't have
the Plus ROMs. Incidentally, the HD20 init also implements HFS, so
using it makes it possible to use an external 800K drive (i.e., it is
useful even if you don't have an HD20). However, if you are going to
spend any money on hardware, rather spend it on Macplus ROMs plus
internal 800K drive (the minimum upgrade Apple will sell you).

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

rad@genco.uucp (Bob Daniel) (06/14/90)

In article <1990Jun12.130417.4698@watdragon.waterloo.edu> bwbecker@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Byron Weber Becker) writes:
>I've picked up an old HD20 -- a pre-SCSI hard disk -- for
>a friend's 512K Mac.  I've got the HD20 init.  Questions:
>
>0. Is it as simple as connecting the HD20 to the floppy
>   port and putting the init in the system folder?

YES

>1. Can the Mac be booted off the HD20?

YES

>2. What's the latest system/finder that can be used?
s s
6.0.5

>3. Can the HD20 have a HFS, or does it need to be the old
>   flat file scheme?

HFS will work

>4. If it must be a flat file, what techniques can be used
>   to keep data organized?

HFS

I have one (for archive) and you can treat it as any other drive
(or floppy for that matter).  With the HD20 init of course.