[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Built-In Video on Macintosh IIfx ?!?!

mp@unido.UUCP (Michael Pickers) (06/13/90)

Hello,

   I've just done an astonishing experiment on my brand new Macintosh IIfx.
I compiled an ran a tiny program that looks at every NU-bus slot and
prints all available information about installed cards (Code from
Amanda Walker, posted in comp.sys.mac.programmer last August as a demo
for the slot manager).  The output was:

Slot 0:
  Macintosh II Built-In Video
  Vendor: Apple Computer, Inc
  Revision: Macintosh II Family 1.0
  Part Number: 342-0733/342-0734/342-0735/342-0736
  Revision Date: 26-Jan-90
Slot 9:
  Toby frame buffer card
  Vendor: Apple Computer
  Revision: Beta-7.0
  Part Number: TFB-1

Now, has anyone (especially from Apple) a good explanation for the output
for slot 0 ? I repeat, this is a Macintosh IIfx and *not* a IIci !!!

My own explanations range form "the ROM of the IIci and the IIfx are
almost identical" to "there really is part of the Built-In Video hardware,
but no connector".

          Michael Pickers
          Computer Science Department, University of Dortmund
          IRB - Informatik Rechner Betriebsgruppe
          4600 Dortmund 50, P.O. Box 500500, W.-Germany
          E-mail address UUCP: mp@unido.uucp (...uunet!mcsun!unido!mp)
          Internet: mp@unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
          BITNET: mp@unido.bitnet

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (06/14/90)

In article <1933@unido.UUCP> mp@unido.UUCP (Michael Pickers) writes:

>Hello,
>
>   I've just done an astonishing experiment on my brand new Macintosh IIfx.
>I compiled an ran a tiny program that looks at every NU-bus slot and
>prints all available information about installed cards (Code from
>Amanda Walker, posted in comp.sys.mac.programmer last August as a demo
>for the slot manager).  The output was:
>
>Slot 0:
>  Macintosh II Built-In Video
>  Vendor: Apple Computer, Inc
>  Revision: Macintosh II Family 1.0
>  Part Number: 342-0733/342-0734/342-0735/342-0736
>  Revision Date: 26-Jan-90
>Slot 9:
>  Toby frame buffer card
>  Vendor: Apple Computer
>  Revision: Beta-7.0
>  Part Number: TFB-1
>
>Now, has anyone (especially from Apple) a good explanation for the output
>for slot 0 ? I repeat, this is a Macintosh IIfx and *not* a IIci !!!
>
>My own explanations range form "the ROM of the IIci and the IIfx are
>almost identical" to "there really is part of the Built-In Video hardware,
>but no connector".

As best as I've been able to track down (someone from the ROM group may still
correct me), your guess about the IIci ROM is correct.  The fx ROM includes
alot of the IIci (you may even be able to put an fx ROM into a ci and have it
work).

FYI the "Toby Frame buffer card" was the last code name for the original
Mac II video card.

Mark

--
---------------------------------
Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering

Apple says what it says; I say what I say.  We're different
---------------------------------

mp@unido.UUCP (Michael Pickers) (06/14/90)

In article <41916@apple.Apple.COM> marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) writes:

>As best as I've been able to track down (someone from the ROM group may still
>correct me), your guess about the IIci ROM is correct.  The fx ROM includes
>alot of the IIci (you may even be able to put an fx ROM into a ci and have it
>work).

Well this sounds like a real bug to me. The slot manager gives my applications
information about something that is neither there nor available or usable.

>FYI the "Toby Frame buffer card" was the last code name for the original
>Mac II video card.

Where there any other names for the old Mac II video card?