[net.columbia] Where can I get a Shuttle model?

pat@pyuxqq.UUCP (Pat M. Iurilli) (01/30/86)

Does anyone know where I can acquire a preassembled model of the
Shuttle with the detachable liquid fuel rocket and solid rocket
boosters like the one that the media uses for demonstrations, which
looks to be about 2 feet long.  Any info you can provide will be
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
--
Pat M. Iurilli  Bell Communications Research  Piscataway, NJ
{allegra, ihnp4, topaz}!pyuxqq!pat

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (02/04/86)

> Does anyone know where I can acquire a preassembled model of the
> Shuttle with the detachable liquid fuel rocket and solid rocket
> boosters like the one that the media uses for demonstrations, which
> looks to be about 2 feet long.  Any info you can provide will be
> appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
> --
> Pat M. Iurilli  Bell Communications Research  Piscataway, NJ
> {allegra, ihnp4, topaz}!pyuxqq!pat

Try your local toy store or hobby shop.  You can buy the models in all
sizes.

wmartin@brl-smoke.UUCP (02/06/86)

In article <3255@hplabsb.UUCP> bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) writes:
>> Does anyone know where I can acquire a preassembled model of the
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^ (emphasis added)
>> Shuttle with the detachable liquid fuel rocket and solid rocket
>> boosters like the one that the media uses for demonstrations, which
>> looks to be about 2 feet long.  Any info you can provide will be
>> appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>> Pat M. Iurilli  Bell Communications Research  Piscataway, NJ
>
>Try your local toy store or hobby shop.  You can buy the models in all
>sizes.

Unless life has changed drastically since I bought and built hundreds of
plastic models, I'm afraid this pointer to "your local toy or hobby
shop" is wrong. Note the emphasis I added above -- the originator wanted
a *preassembled* model that could be handled like the media types use.

This probably is not some Revell or Monogram commercial plastic model
kit that has been assembled by the NBC art department (or the other
networks' or stations' equivalents) -- it is probably solid and not a
thin plastic shell, so it will withstand the handling it will get
on-camera. I would suppose that these models are built by the "model
shop" sections of places like Rockwell, who do this sort of thing
for engineering reasons (building wind-tunnel models, etc.), make props for
the advertising department, and give models to the appropriate Senators
and gov't bigwigs for them to have on their desks or credenzas.

It might be possible that a local hobby shop would have a model kit and
a list of names of skilled builders who could be paid to assemble and
finish the model for you, and maybe they could foam-fill parts of the
model to give it solidity and rigidity, but that would be just a chance.
I would expect you really would have to buy such a thing from one of the
aforementioned "model shops" (I also recall there being some of these
that work independently, as subcontractors or on a job-shop basis) and
it will probably cost $200 or more for a single one.

Will