[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Fixing a stuck floppy

powsner@csb1.nlm.nih.gov (Seth M Powsner) (06/13/90)

Don't know why your floppy diskette is stuck. But, I can tell you I've taken
appart a Mac II floppy diskette drive which wouldn't load or unload and gotten
it to work. It was a bit of a delicate repair (small screws). The problem
was that the gears/cam on the stepping motor were 90 degrees out of phase.
Once I got them back in phase (and got everything together correctly) it
worked fine.

You'd better like working on fine mechanisms before undertaking this and
you'd better be prepared to scrap the drive if it doesn't work out (could
easily ruin it beyond the shop's tolerance for repairs).

Seth M Powsner powsner.medinf@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu
               powsner@yalemed.bitnet

mposton@uci.edu (Michael Poston) (06/13/90)

My thanks to all who responded to my plea for help in "unsticking" a
stubborn floppy.

You'll never guess what it turned out to be.  Nothing short of brute force
was working, so I decided to take out the floppy drive and take it to the
dealer for servicing.  When I opened up the Mac's case, a floppy diskette
practically shot out of the drive.  Then I looked at the drive, and there
was *still* a diskette in there.  The user had somehow stuffed 2 diskettes
into one drive!

I turned on the Mac, and the second diskette was ejected normally during
the boot-up process.  Neither diskette looks damaged, so I'm hoping the
head mechanism wasn't damaged either.  The drive seems to work OK today.

If I hadn't seen it, I never would have believed it.  Thanks again.

Michael

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (06/15/90)

In article <HEMSTREE.90Jun14120015@handel.handel.CS.Colostate.Edu>
hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet) writes:
> The user had somehow stuffed 2 diskettes
>    into one drive!

I'm practically DYING, trying to resist puns about "dual density" diskette
readers.
-Chuck

- Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.
cah0@bunny.gte.com