[comp.sys.mac.hardware] A/UX system access by X.25 login ?

alexis@panix.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (06/14/90)

[Miguel Calejo asks about accessing an A/UX Mac via X.25]

How did you plan to hook the Mac to the X.25 net?

I'm just exploring this option now, for tunneling LocalTalk through X.25
across the Atlantic and Pacific oceans (but not for A/UX). My understanding
is that you can use routers (such as the cisco) to produce ethernet packets
(assuming you've got one coming from the other side), which you could then
pick up on the Mac. Of course, that's only good if you have only one remote
site with multiple users, not multiple simultaneous remote sites with 1 or
more users.

It would look like this:
Mac A/UX------Router===X.25 PAD< - - - - >X.25 PAD===Router------many macs

where "------" is an ethernet, "===" is some connection like V.35
or RS-449, and "< - - - - >" is the X.25 net itself.

There are other possibilities, too. What exactly is your setup like?

*** Has anyone actually used X.25 yet? I've talked to many companies, including
various parts of Apple, and it's all-talk-no-action, except that the Engage
Communications people claim that a few of their customers have done it. I have
yet to hear back from Cisco, but I'm hopeful...

(I'm sending this article to c.s.m.comm and c.s.m.hardware, as it relates
to both those groups as well. Please follow-up to the appropriate group(s).)

Alexis Rosen
Out on the bleeding edge
apple!panix!alexis
alexis@panix.uucp

mc@fctunl.rccn.pt (Miguel Calejo) (06/15/90)

In article <739@panix.UUCP> alexis@panix.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
> I'm just exploring this option now, for tunneling LocalTalk through X.25
> across the Atlantic and Pacific oceans (but not for A/UX). My
understanding
> is that you can use routers (such as the cisco) to produce ethernet
packets
> (assuming you've got one coming from the other side), which you could
then
> pick up on the Mac.

> There are other possibilities, too. What exactly is your setup like?

First let me say that I'm still in the prospective phase, deciding what to
buy. I have no system running.

> How did you plan to hook the Mac to the X.25 net?

Two ideas came to mind: using some combination of MacX25+Apple NB Serial
Card, or the Symicron X.25 board for A/UX (appears in the A/UX application
list on Applelink; I haven't their coordinates here, but I can look it up).

>  I have yet to hear back from Cisco, but I'm hopeful...

As far as I know (following the recommendation of a knowledgeable Apple
guy and considering the information I got from Cisco), the Cisco solution
should work for your problem. Another (cheaper) possibility might be to
use a couple of PAD boxes and Hayes Interbridges, or a similar AppleTalk
bridge for modem connections:

LocalTalk1--Bridge==X.25 PAD box< - - >X.25 PADbox==Bridge--LocalTalk2

"---" is LocalTalk, "==" is RS-232, "<- ->"  is the X.25 net.

But I'm ignorant in these matters... Does this make sense ?

Finally, although I'm also very interested in connecting AppleTalks over
X.25, my current problem is making TTY-like access to a Mac A/UX host.
Implementing an AppleTalk bridge would be an overkill for my application.

Best wishes,    Miguel

DISCLAIMER: this message can not have legal significance.

                    Miguel Calejo

AI Center, UNINOVA, 2825 Monte da Caparica, Portugal
AppleLink: IT0083      Connect: calejom     Fax:+351-1-2955641