		       	        SS   SS   KK   KK    EE
			          SSS     KK    KK   EEEEEEEE     !!

					Lynn E. Gurske
					ECS/mfg  Tektronix
					Wilsonville, OREGON 97070
					60-640

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (02/06/86)

In article <2401@sdcc6.UUCP> ix742@sdcc6.UUCP (James Hayes) writes:

>NASA officials say that computer data shows one of the SRB's had
>fallen of 10% (in thrust) at 0:58 seconds, and the nozzels of the other 4
>engines (3 shuttle, other SRB) swiveled to keep the shuttle in line.
>The thrust drop might be related to a leak in the SRB. -- Los
>Angeles Times. (Paraphrased heavily)

As usual, the media is in errror on at least one  point.  My  understanding
is  that the nozzles on the SRBs are fixed -- they can't swivel.  The Times
has published other glaring  errors  on  how  shuttle  systems  operate.  I
wouldn't trust them as a source for any technical information.

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.     Geniuses are people so lazy they
Santa Monica, CA  90405   do everything right the first time.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe