[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac<--------rs232----->MS-DOS Question.

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (06/27/90)

In article <1990Jun23.180654.10796@ariel.unm.edu> dcaffey@hydra.unm.edu (Dom Caffey CIRT-APSYS) writes:
> I'm trying to get a mac-512+ to talk to an MS-DOS machine (Zenith
> MinisPort) via the mac's modem port and the zenith's 9 pin rs232.

Worry no more.  The mac has a RS-422 plug which is mostly compatible with
an RS-232.  Rather than dinking around trying to build a cable, go to
your Apple dealer or CompuAdd and pick up a Mac to PC-AT cable.  They are
also called Mac to Modem cables.  You will probably also need a null modem
connector.

An even better solution might be the Lap-Link package.  I recall seeing
a version of Lap-Link for the Mac that came complete with software and
a Mac to PC cable.

> p.s.:  I talked to the local Apple store here in town and with
>	Computerland and neither was of much help.

That PS sort of sums up Apple service in a nutshell.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john

consp22@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) (06/29/90)

|>> p.s.:  I talked to the local Apple store here in town and with
|>>	Computerland and neither was of much help.
|>
|>That PS sort of sums up Apple service in a nutshell.

John, I have to disagree with you.  That is the fault of poorly trained
ComputerLand people, not Apple.  Apple provides more than enough
training for EVERY aspect of their entire product line and the current
market needs.  In addition, any Apple authorized technician knows this.
When he was at Computer Land, he probably spoke to a sales person, who
probably didn't know enough to ask a technician.

Being a service technician, I have dealt with a large number of
companies when machines need reapir.  Apple is the really the best.  Not
only can you still get a human voice on the phone, but they actually can
help you on the phone.

I cannot keep track of how many companies make you navigate through a
large number of vocal computer-run menus on the phone, when you are
trying to order a part, and just wind up having the computer tell you
nothing and cut you off.

It is very easy for a dealer to get Apple parts.  They are shipped the
next day and you can arrange to have parts there the next morning.  I
usually have to wait weeks for parts from other companies.  The
trainging that they offer for technicians is superb and some of the best
in the industry.

Places like ComputerLand and 42nd St Photo and other places that deal in
grey- market computers or don't respect their customers enough to
properly train their people don't deserve to be in business.

If you have had a bad experience trying to get your Apple Computer
serviced or have had problems with an Apple authorized dealer, call
Apple Customer Support and tell them.

PS: I am not defending them just because I am a tech.

|  Consp22@Bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu  |  SUNY-B Computer Consultants -      |
|  Consp22@Bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu   |  Trying to keep the world safe from |
|  Consultant/Techie - World Computers  |-------------------------------------|
|  Computer Cons. - SUNY Binghamton     |     Darren `Mac Hack' Handler       |
I don't know if I am going to heaven or hell, I just hope God grades on a curve