[net.columbia] More Challenger Nonsense

In article <152800004@uiucuxc> gardner@uiucuxc.UUCP writes:

>The SRB's burn from the bottom up.  The position of the flame front should
>be directly calculatable by NASA.  The key question is:  Would the flame
>front be near that joint at that point in the flight.

Come on folks!  I see value in speculation, but we are being absolutely
buried in an avalanche of erroneous "facts".  As has been illustrated many
many times, the SRBs are center grain burning, not end grain burning.  They
burn the entire length of the grain at once.

We've also had numerous assertions that the destruct charges simply blow off
the ends.  In fact, every *reputable* (ie non-net) source I've heard has
stated that they split the casing in two *lengthwise*.

Could people PLEASE check out their information a little better?

C. Wingate