[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Adding an IBM-AT to AppleTalk to print on the LaserWriter.

bach@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Baskaran Subramaniam) (06/28/90)

Sorry for the goof with the subject line of the last article folks.

Baskaran.

We have an IBM-AT computer hooked up to the AppleTalk Network using a plug-in
card called 'AppleTalk for PC'.  This allows us to print documents from the
PC on Apple LaserWriter; we can also transfer files between the Macs and the
PC over TOPS InBox. Now we want to add another PC to this network.

For this, I would like to know what kind of plug-in card and software are
currently the available (I think the one we have in the other PC has been
discontinued). Can the TOPS FlashCard be used?

Thanks for any info.

Baskaran.

asj@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Kevin Pruner) (06/29/90)

In article <6657@vax1.acs.udel.EDU> bach@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Baskaran Subramaniam) writes:
>We have an IBM-AT computer hooked up to the AppleTalk Network using a plug-in
>card called 'AppleTalk for PC'.  This allows us to print documents from the
>PC on Apple LaserWriter; we can also transfer files between the Macs and the
>PC over TOPS InBox. Now we want to add another PC to this network.

>For this, I would like to know what kind of plug-in card and software are
>currently the available (I think the one we have in the other PC has been
>discontinued). Can the TOPS FlashCard be used?

We use the Apple LocalTalk Card running AppleTalk for PC's V2.01 (I'm not
exactly sure that is the right name of the software as I am not at the office
right now, but it is an Apple product.)  The card itself costs $115 from the
local Apple dealer.

If you want to put the card in a machine that is running QEMM v5.0, you have to
install it as interrupt driven rather than polled.

--
| Kevin E. Pruner               | Assistant Systems Manager             |
| asj@sage.cc.purdue.edu        | Christopher M. Funk & Co., Inc.       |