[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SE Hardware Questions: IWM upgrade, ADB filter

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (06/28/90)

Well, my roommate finally got tired of "only" having a Lisa and an Atari
ST with GCR for home Macs, 'n' bought an SE/20.  Naturally, the Gods of
Fate caused it to fail upon startup at home (it's used) and I cracked
'er open.

Symptoms are the usual crackling and ticking noises from the power
supply on startup, then nothing.  Occasionally we got startup, but then
the keyboard and the mousk wouldn't move the cursor or do any functions.
Aargh.  Had to just turn it off (contrary to my every instinct).

After a bit of fiddling, we determined that the ADB filter chip is
likely the culprit (hot and smelly).  Anybody know who makes or where to
get?  It's by "Tokin", not known to us.  This is the newer board with an
ADB chip instead of much discrete glue (I sure hope IT'S okay or we're
really up a creek).

Also, does anyone sell newer IWMs that will eat FDHDs directly?  I know
that it's the only change necessary to support 'em, but Apple isn't real
generous with the upgrade chips (try to get the equivalent of a "Fatter
Agnes" out of 'em :-).

My first call tomorrow is to Pre-Owned but I thought this an appropriate
subject for net bandwidth.

	Thanks,
		Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (06/29/90)

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:
(And don't you follow up your own articles?)

>Symptoms [on the croaked SE] are the usual crackling and ticking noises
from the power
>supply on startup, then nothing.  Occasionally we got startup, but then
>the keyboard and the mousk wouldn't move the cursor or do any functions.
>Aargh.  Had to just turn it off (contrary to my every instinct).

>After a bit of fiddling, we determined that the ADB filter chip is
>likely the culprit (hot and smelly).  Anybody know who makes or where to
>get?  It's by "Tokin", not known to us.  This is the newer board with an
>ADB chip instead of much discrete glue (I sure hope IT'S okay or we're
>really up a creek).

Courtesy Thomas Burton (Rory) Bolt VI:

	Tokin part number 155-007-C (7458) is actually an Apple part number
for the Tokin D-16-C. Single unit price is under $5.00. Specifications available
upon request.  You may reach Tokin via the following:

			Tokin America, Inc.
			2261 Fortune Drive
			San Jose, CA 95131
			Voice: (408) 432-8020
			Fax:   (408) 434-0375

>My first call tomorrow is to Pre-Owned but I thought this an appropriate
>subject for net bandwidth.

And Pre-O and Maya don't sell the parts alone.

	Alex