[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Upgrade an Original Mac II with Superdrive ?

18215MES@MSU.BITNET (06/29/90)

Hi Folks!
Just a quick question here...
A friend has an original Mac II and would like to upgrade to
the FDHD superdrive...
Should he just buy the FDHD upgrade kit @ $400 or so
or does he also need a motherboard upgrade ?

If he needs the motherboard, wouldn't it be better to get the
FX upgrade?
Thanks, mark Sartor, 221 Ag Hall, MSU, E. Lansing Mi. (18215mes@msu.bitnet)

brion@cbnewsh.att.com (brion.n.feinberg) (06/30/90)

From article <40918215MES@MSU>, by 18215MES@MSU.BITNET:
> Hi Folks!
> Just a quick question here...
> A friend has an original Mac II and would like to upgrade to
> the FDHD superdrive...
> Should he just buy the FDHD upgrade kit @ $400 or so
> or does he also need a motherboard upgrade ?
>
> If he needs the motherboard, wouldn't it be better to get the
> FX upgrade?
> Thanks, mark Sartor, 221 Ag Hall, MSU, E. Lansing Mi. (18215mes@msu.bitnet)

My local dealer informed me that I can upgrade my Mac II to use a FDHD
for about $600.  This includes a swap of the SWIM chip (needed to drive
the new floppy drive) AND a new floppy drive mechanism.  Since I only
have a single floppy Mac II (with an external HD), I would be able to keep
the current floppy drive.  But I don't think it would work as an FDHD even
with the new SWIM chip.  I'd love to hear if anyone has had this upgrade
performed.

In any case, I haven't done the upgrade yet because I am considering
buying the Rappaport/Drive 2.4 product.  This external floppy drive
would give me the same functionality as the Apple upgrade.  The cost
is about the same (because you need to buy a cable for the Mac II), but
an external drive is more flexible.  For example, I could use it at home
with my Mac Plus.  My main application will be to run SoftPC, although I
can't use the Mac Plus to run that at home.

I'd also appreciate any information you get on these upgrades.  Note
that the Apple upgrade does not involve a motherboard swap.

Brion

#include standard_disclaimer

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (07/03/90)

Brion N. Feinberg <brion@cbnewsh.att.com> writes:

	I haven't done the upgrade yet because I am considering buying
	the Rappaport/Drive 2.4 product.  This external floppy drive
	would give me the same functionality as the Apple upgrade.  The
	cost is about the same (because you need to buy a cable for the
	Mac II), but an external drive is more flexible.

I recently purchased the Rapport/Drave 2.4 product, and I like it very
much.  It works "as advertised" and was a cinch to install, although
the hokey cable for the MacII (looks like it takes a slot, but just
takes a space for the connector) isn't made very well.  I paid $395 +
$195 + $45 for it from MacAvenue, and it came with a copy of FastBackII
(older version than current, but i'm pretty sure I can get a free
upgrade).

I would reccomend this product.

/jordan