[comp.sys.mac.hardware] HD backup options?

bobj@hpindwa.HP.COM (Bob Joslin) (06/29/90)

Who can tell me their opinions on the best price/functionality ratio for
HD backup?  I have been thinking of getting a tape backup system for
my Mac, but $600 and up for tape backup seems too much.  Backup using
floppys it totally unacceptable!

Any ideas?

Bob Joslin

cckweiss@castor (07/03/90)

In article <46650001@hpindwa.HP.COM> bobj@hpindwa.HP.COM (Bob Joslin) writes:
>Who can tell me their opinions on the best price/functionality ratio for
>HD backup?  I have been thinking of getting a tape backup system for
>my Mac, but $600 and up for tape backup seems too much.  Backup using
>floppys it totally unacceptable!
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Bob Joslin

I'd suggest a Syquest 45MB removable cartridge hard drive. I've got
an Ehman, but there are many packagers of the Syquest mechanism.
Prices seem to be in the $700 range right now, and carts are about
$100 each. For a little more that the cost of a tape backup you get
a real hard drive with access time in the 25ms range. Your files are
backed up in native format, not some weird split format, and if
your primary drive ever goes down you can run right off the backup
for quite a while. The only drawback I've found is that the unit is
kind of noisy, and it presents the usual SCSI monkey puzzle until you
figure out just what address it really wants, and whether or not it
needs to be powered up and loaded when you boot your Mac.

There, you wanted an opinion, now you got one, nyaaah nyaaah!

Ken Weiss