[net.columbia] Press parasites? Net parasites

chuq@sun.uucp (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/01/86)

> The following commentary is not unique to the net, but can be
> found in the print, the airwaves, and the wires:
>
> I am tired of everybody beginning to
> say, "It's clear . . ." when it is `clear' to me that many people do not
> know what they are talking about.  We have a penant for causality and
> determinism.  We have all seen a single set of footage and have picked up
> on little artifacts.  Important pieces of information are missing
> and what might appear to be a `cause' might in reality be an after
> effect of something greater yet unseen.

I agree with Gene on this completely. I've been quite disappointed with the
quality of the information coming across the net on the disaster. With few
exceptions, they seem to break down into three categories:

    o initial reactions: "The Challenger blew up today. At this point there
    don't seem to be survivers" -- I can understand the sentiment, but four
    days after the fact, net-propogation means I'm still seeing them
    outdated or incorrect information and all.

    o "Let's rename net.columbia" -- May I ask what this accomplishes?
    Renaming a group is a non-trivial operation on this network, it usually
    takes months to get things straight, and I'm not sure it is a reasonable
    thing to do based on a short term emotional reaction. IF people spent
    the time they took writing these kinds of messages and wrote messages to
    their senators or the president, maybe the NASA budget would have a
    better chance of being set at a level where they can accomplish things.

    o "I've watched the videotape, and it seems to me..." -- A lot of
    immediate experts have watched the tapes and have solved all of mankinds
    problems. Hell, I watched the video tapes as well, and I certainly
    didn't see stuff that obvious. The people who BUILT the thing watched
    the tapes, and it doesn't seem like they say it, either. Let's tone down
    the backseat quarterbacking a bit and try to work with facts, shall we?

One of the things I've noticed is that a lot of writers seem to lack
perspective on the shuttle. It isn't just a large plane, folks. I was lucky
enough to be able to visit an open-house with the Enterprise years ago, and
until you've seen that thing, you simply can't imagine what it is like.
Imagine tires larger than you are. Imagine a cargo bay large enough to
swallow a Greyhound bus with room to spare. Imagine putting this on a 15
story building full of gasoline and riding it to the stars. Until you've
been near a shuttle and come to grips with the size, the complexity, and the
majesty, I don't see how anyone can look at a videotape and understand it. I
cried years ago from the overwhelming grace of the Enterprise, and I cried
again this week when Challenger went down. These comments are not from one
that doesn't care, but from someone who thinks its time to start looking
forward again. Let's learn from mistakes, not dwell on them.

I've been a long time (but silent) supporter of the space program. The
shuttle crash brings home the fact that NASA has been starved for funds
since the Nixon reign. I've decided it is time to stop my silent approval,
and start working to get NASA what I feel it deserves. If you approve of the
space program, I suggest you do, too. I'm putting together letters that will
go to the President, my elected representatives in the senate and the house,
the head of NASA, and whoever else I decide ought to see a copy, demanding
not only a continuation of NASA funding, but a ramp up to make space a
commercially viable place for industry. I'm also considering putting away my
long standing problems with the L5 society and supporting them in their
support of the Space program. The Space foundation is another thing I'm
looking at.

It is my opinion that now is a critical time in the space program. Reagan
has come out in favor of continued space funding, but there are many who
feel that NASA's money can be much better spent on things like food stamps
(i.e., direct benefits that get them re-elected). Those that favor space
will need all the support they can get. I suggest we give it to them, and
leave the discovery of the cause of the disaster and the solution to that
problem where it belongs -- with the experts.

chuq
--
:From catacombs of Castle Tarot:        Chuq Von Rospach
sun!chuq@decwrl.DEC.COM                 {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc,pyramid}!sun!chuq

My uncle told me all of this. It must be true, because I know my uncle, and he
is as honest as me.

kjm@ut-ngp.UUCP (02/05/86)

[]

>     o "I've watched the videotape, and it seems to me..." -- A lot of
>     immediate experts have watched the tapes and have solved all of mankinds
>     problems. Hell, I watched the video tapes as well, and I certainly
>     didn't see stuff that obvious. The people who BUILT the thing watched
>     the tapes, and it doesn't seem like they say it, either. Let's tone down
>     the backseat quarterbacking a bit and try to work with facts, shall we?
>
> [Chuq Von Rospach]

One of the ways to work through the horror one may feel following a disaster
is to try to come to some understanding of (or even only speculation about)
its cause -- to try to make some sort of sense of the events.  I don't see
how this is at all unreasonable.

--
The above viewpoints are mine.  They are unrelated to
those of anyone else, including my cat and my employer.

Ken Montgomery  "Shredder-of-hapless-smurfs"
...!{ihnp4,allegra,seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!kjm  [Usenet, when working]
kjm@ngp.{ARPA,UTEXAS.EDU}  [Old/New Internet; depends on nameserver operation]

benn@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (T Cox) (02/07/86)

[]
From: kjm@ut-ngp.UUCP
> >     o "I've watched the videotape, and it seems to me..." -- A lot of
> >     immediate experts have watched the tapes and have solved all of
> > mankinds
> >     problems. Hell, I watched the video tapes as well, and I certainly
> >     didn't see stuff that obvious. The people who BUILT the thing watched
> >     the tapes, and it doesn't seem like they say it, either. Let's tone
> > down
> >     the backseat quarterbacking a bit and try to work with facts, shall we?
> > [Chuq Von Rospach] ...sun!chuq

> One of the ways to work through the horror one may feel following a disaster
> is to try to come to some understanding of (or even only speculation about)
> its cause -- to try to make some sort of sense of the events.  I don't see
> how this is at all unreasonable.
> [Ken Montgomery] ...!{ihnp4,allegra,seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!kjm

While Chuq doesn't need defending, I do want to address this.  I don't
think anyone would object to you, or me, or even Chuq if one of us were
to sit and watch the videos over and over.  That may be what we need to do
to 'come to some understanding'.  BUT it is something else entirely to
flood the net with speculation on the order of "my mother-in-law says she
thinks that it's obvious that . . ."
   Maybe that sort of garbage makes you feel better, but you don't have to
do it in public, do you?  I agree with Chuq:  let's keep quiet unless we
have something to say.  If we all do that, we'll still have lots of
postings, only maybe they'll be more substantive.

Sincerely,--
T Cox
...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!benn   benn%sphinx@uchicago.bitnet