[comp.sys.mac.hardware] MacAvenue's TI microLaser PS printer -- opinions?

lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee) (06/29/90)

As the subject implies, I was wondering if anyone out there has had any
experience with the IT microLaser PostScript printer being advertised by
MacAvenue for $2425.  My boss wants a printer for use at home and PostScript
would be a definite plus.  Is it reliable?  Does it have any glaring faults?
Can I get a good (mac compatible) PostScript printer for less somewhere else?

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.  If there are multiple replies
I'll summarize the responses for the net.

						Thanks in advance!

--
|-                       Peter E. Lee, Staff Assistant                       -|
|   Software Development Lab at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst    |

lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee) (06/29/90)

As the subject implies, I was wondering if anyone out there has had any
experience with the TI microLaser PostScript printer being advertised by

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (07/04/90)

lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee) writes:

>As the subject implies, I was wondering if anyone out there has had any
>experience with the IT microLaser PostScript printer being advertised by
>MacAvenue for $2425.

I've had one for a few months now and am crazy about it.  I am not a
PostScript guru, but have run into *no* compatibility problems.  The only
problem I've run into so far is this.  I have it connected to another machine
by a parallel port, as well as the AppleTalk connection to the Mac.  If I
start with it running off the parallel port and then select AppleTalk, all is
well.  But If I start with it connected to the Mac, I seem to have to cycle
power to get the parallel port to work.

It does have one other problem.  The button marked "Emit coupon for any free
Adobe font you want" doesn't seem to work.  But I believe this is a generic
problem with all PostScript printers.  :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Actually when I got it I *did* get a freebie Adobe Presentation Pack!
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \