[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple Tape Backup

SAS102@psuvm.psu.edu (Steven A. Schrader) (06/29/90)

Hi, I have a slight problem, and let me see if anyone can help me.
Seems that I backed up my Mac II's 40 MB HD with Apple Tape BackupSC. Now when
I go to restore the backup it tells me that the image on the tape is not the sa
me as the one I am trying to restore. Does anyone know a way around this?

I originally had 1 partition--Apple, I formatted the drive and partitioned it w
/ silverlining, realizing that this would not work I reformatted it with 1

apple partition. There aer some bad sectors on the disk, at times Apple's
 format will not hold. Is there ayway I can retrieve the data off of the tape?
                   Steven A. Schrader (SAS102 @ Psuvm.Bitnet)
/=============================================================================\
|  "This is stupid, you answer my questions with more questions, you teach    |
|         nothing!"                                                           |
|  "We are taught in order with one's capacity to learn."                     |
|         -- David Carradine in Iron Cricle                                   |
\=============================================================================/

cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) (07/03/90)

Best of luck to you.  I was not successful, when in the same situation
(did a volume backup, not by file, right? Who would, when it takes
5 times longer!).  Apparently the drive you restore to must have
*exactly* the same number of formatted blocks as when you backed it
up (anyone with more precise info, please correct me). I tried to
restore to four or five machines here, and all of them had a slightly
different disk size, so it wouldn't copy.

Mac DTS told me the problem had been fixed with Apple Tape Backup 2.01,
but gave me no way to get at my backup created with the prior version.
Since we got our 45 Meg removables, I haven't used that @*#&$ boat
anchor drive.

--Cy--    cy@dbase.a-t.com

vturner@nmsu.EDU (Vaughan Turner) (07/04/90)

I had the same problem with a CMS drive.  I figured it might work with
the new version (then 2.01), but I had no way of getting it at the
time.

Apple tech support had no help for me (through a local dealer;  they
wouldn't talk to me :( ), but when I finally got the new version, it
worked fine.  It will read older formats, and should be able to put
the data onto any drive where the data will fit.  If I understand your
problem, this should fix it.

Hope this helps,

Vaughan
--
Vaughan Turner                               BITNET:    mcswvt@nmsuvm1.bitnet
Box 3AT Computer Center        preferred-->  INTERNET:  vturner@nmsu.edu

LGEORGE@insted.unimelb.edu.au (Lord Vader) (07/04/90)

In article <615@dbase.A-T.COM>, cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) writes:
> Best of luck to you.  I was not successful, when in the same situation
> (did a volume backup, not by file, right? Who would, when it takes
> 5 times longer!).  Apparently the drive you restore to must have
> *exactly* the same number of formatted blocks as when you backed it
> up (anyone with more precise info, please correct me). I tried to
> restore to four or five machines here, and all of them had a slightly
> different disk size, so it wouldn't copy.
>
> --Cy--    cy@dbase.a-t.com

Did you try apple Tape Disk INIT?
It allows you to mount volume backups with Apple's Tape Backup Drive as finder
volumes...  It's slow, but its mounted.
It should be with the Tape Backup Software...
You can also look for it on any 'excelent' cd :)
Otherwise, email me, and I'll send you a copy.
--
George Stamatopoulos					#### ###
La Trobe University -					#### ###

SAS102@psuvm.psu.edu (Steven A. Schrader) (07/05/90)

In article <4308@insted.unimelb.edu.au>, LGEORGE@insted.unimelb.edu.au (Lord
Vader) says:

>In article <615@dbase.A-T.COM>, cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) writes:
>> Best of luck to you.  I was not successful, when in the same situation
>> (did a volume backup, not by file, right? Who would, when it takes
>> 5 times longer!).  Apparently the drive you restore to must have
>> *exactly* the same number of formatted blocks as when you backed it
>> up (anyone with more precise info, please correct me). I tried to
>> restore to four or five machines here, and all of them had a slightly
>> different disk size, so it wouldn't copy.
>>
>> --Cy--    cy@dbase.a-t.com
>
>Did you try apple Tape Disk INIT?
>It allows you to mount volume backups with Apple's Tape Backup Drive as finder
>volumes...  It's slow, but its mounted.
>It should be with the Tape Backup Software...
>You can also look for it on any 'excelent' cd :)
>Otherwise, email me, and I'll send you a copy.
>--
>George Stamatopoulos                                    #### ###
>La Trobe University -                                   #### ###
>        Lincoln School of Health Sciences               #### #####
>Computing Unit                                          #### ##### incoln
>Melbourne                                               ####
>Victoria                                                ##########
>Australia                                               ########## a Trobe
Actually that is what I used to get it back.  It was slow, but Hey I'll take it
 when the opposite ersult is either paying bucks to get it retreived via a comp
any, or losing the data. It worked very well, and in fact I like backing up
that way ...