[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Ram Upgrade->SE30 same as 2cx

allg@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Allan Greenleaf) (06/30/90)

Yes, the SE30 is the same as the IIcx. If you put the 4 one-meg
SIMMS in the second bank, the machine will work but you will have
only a 2 meg computer!

denis@hpausla.aso.hp.com (Denis Rachal) (07/03/90)

Allan Greenleaf <allg@uhura.cc.rochester.edu> writes in comp.sys.mac.hardware:
> Yes, the SE30 is the same as the IIcx. If you put the 4 one-meg
> SIMMS in the second bank, the machine will work but you will have
> only a 2 meg computer!

I can't get my RAM upgrade to work in my SE30. If I put the 4 one-meg SIMMS
in bank A (marked as 1 & 2 on the board) I get 4 tones on power up and
garbage on my screen. If I put them in bank B I get a 2 meg SE30 as you
have just described. It works OK, but I only get 2 megs.

What's up? Are there any jumpers or resistors on the SE30? The instructions
didn't mention any. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Denis Rachal
Hewlett-Packard - Australian Software Operation

Disclaimer - HP could care less about my Mac & it's RAM.

denis@hpausla.aso.hp.com (Denis Rachal) (07/06/90)

To summarize for the NET:

Thanks for all the help on my memory upgrade problem.

The SE/30 has no jumpers or resistors. You simply install the 4 one meg
SIMMS in bank A (marked as "SIMM 1" and "SIMM 2" on the motherboard and
closest to the edge). That should do it.

My upgrade failed due to a bad SIMM. The symptom was four tones at power
on, garbage pattern on the screen and no boot with the SIMMS in bank A;
Only 2 meg of RAM available with the one meg SIMMS in bank B.

Thanks again.

Denis Rachal