[comp.sys.mac.hardware] B&W Monitor Survey Results

deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) (07/08/90)

Well, I posted a little while ago about what B&W portrait-size monitors
people recommended.  I got about five to ten responses.  Every single one
was in favor of the Apple Portrait Display.  Why?  Well, apparently it is
clearer and nicer to look at than any other, including such as Radi*s.
People say they got used to the 80dpi resolution very easily.  In addition,
you can expand your card and get 256 grays if you so desire, something most
B&W monitors don't handle with much dignity.  Since I haven't checked on
the technical stats yet myself, I can't confirm this, but one person
implied that it was, by default, not 1-bit but 2-bit, and said that certain
programs (such as Word) took advantage of the two intermediate grays to do
nice things.
  No other monitors were mentioned except inasmuch as they were berated for
being of lesser quality.
  So, I think I will buy an Apple Portrait display.  They must have done
something right for once... :->
  But before I do, does anyone know: is it likely that a compact version of
the IIfx is likely to come out, and if it does, can us IIcx folks upgrade,
and if we can, will the processor-direct slot it has make a significant
difference to graphics boards?  Like would graphics done through a card in
that slot be significantly faster or something?  Is it worth waiting for?
Does anyone know?
  Reply direct, please.  I haven't enough time to read rn all the time.  I
hardly have enough time to breathe these days...
-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)

demarsee@gamera.cns.syr.edu (Darryl E. Marsee) (07/09/90)

In article <1990Jul8.030157.24734@agate.berkeley.edu>
deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) writes:

> Well, I posted a little while ago about what B&W portrait-size monitors
> people recommended.  I got about five to ten responses.  Every single one
> was in favor of the Apple Portrait Display.  Why?  Well, apparently it is
> clearer and nicer to look at than any other, including such as Radi*s.
> People say they got used to the 80dpi resolution very easily.  In
> addition, you can expand your card and get 256 grays if you so desire...

Speaking of cards, what Apple cards work with the Portrait Display?
Obviously, the Portrait Display Video Card does, but is that only a 1-bit
card?  And what about the new 4.8 and 8.24 cards?  Do they work with the Portrait Display? And if so, how many grays does one get?  In all cases,
assume that no expansion kits are involved; I just want to know what I get
with these cards right out of the box.

Many Thanks,

Darryl E. Marsee
Syracuse University