[net.columbia] Name for the next shuttle

ins_avrd@jhunix.UUCP (Victoria Rosly D'ull) (02/06/86)

> 	How about Icarus?
>
> 	You know, the greek mythological man who tried to fly to
> the sun on wings of wax?
>
> 	It would be a pleasant change from all the previous
> gung ho hypola. It might also symbolize how difficult this thing
> really is in the midst of human failure.
>
> 						John.

	Considering that Icarus' is generally considered a cautionary
tale (he died for allowing himself to be drawn so close to the beauty
of the skies, when all he had planned for was to fly across an ocean),
perhaps it ought to be called Daedalus, for Icarus' uncle, who had
created the wings and used them safely and effectively.

	Just an opinion; NASA will undoubtedly name the next shuttle
"Prudence" or something equally uninspired.  (I've never quite managed
to forgive them for the "Enterprise" :-)

						--Vicka

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (02/07/86)

In article <930@decwrl.DEC.COM> williams@kirk.DEC (John Williams 223-3402) writes:

>	How about Icarus?
>
>	You know, the greek mythological man who tried to fly to
>the sun on wings of wax?
>
>	It would be a pleasant change from all the previous
>gung ho hypola. It might also symbolize how difficult this thing
>really is in the midst of human failure.

Actually, how about Phoenix to symbolize the shuttle program rising from
the ashes of this tragedy?

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

Give an ape control of its environment and it will fill the world with bananas.