[comp.sys.mac.hardware] mac se memory upgrade

pete@oakhill.UUCP (Pete Percosan) (07/03/90)

Hello -

   I have a question concerning the process for upgrading a new
   mac se (with 20meg hd). I looked at the motherboard and located
   the simms (not to tough) and a jumper for 1 or 2/4 meg (does this
   mean that you can only install 4 256x8 - 1 meg, 4 512x8 - 2 meg,
   or 4 1024x8 - 4 meg simms?). when i installed the 4 1024x8s and set
   the jumper to the 2/4 meg setting, i found that the system only
   thought that there was a single meg installed.

   any pointers would be appreciated.

   pete percosan

p.s. assuming the correct memory speeds, will memory used for the mac II work
     in the se? and vice versa.

barrey@ka.excelan.com (Barrey Jewall) (07/04/90)

In article <3479@chomsky.oakhill.UUCP> pete@oakhill.UUCP (Pete Percosan) writes:
>Hello -
>
>   I have a question concerning the process for upgrading a new
>   mac se (with 20meg hd). I looked at the motherboard and located
>   the simms (not to tough) and a jumper for 1 or 2/4 meg (does this
>   mean that you can only install 4 256x8 - 1 meg, 4 512x8 - 2 meg,
>   or 4 1024x8 - 4 meg simms?). when i installed the 4 1024x8s and set
>   the jumper to the 2/4 meg setting, i found that the system only
>   thought that there was a single meg installed.

>   any pointers would be appreciated.

>   pete percosan
In the new "Jumper-Style" SE's , you need to have the jumper REMOVED for either
2.5 or 4MB. (2.5 is accomplished by using 2- 256K SIMMs in the REARMOST sockets,
and 2 1MB SIMMs in the sockets closest to the edge of the board.

This order is reversed for the "JUMPERLESS" style of motherboard (older)..

I usually take the jumper off, then stick it back on over only ONE PIN of the
set, that way I can downgrade the mac later if I must...

>p.s. assuming the correct memory speeds, will memory used for the mac II work
>     in the se? and vice versa.

Assuming that the speeds are as follows, it should work just fine...

RAM SPEEDS FOR MACINTOSH

Mac Plus, SE	-150ns
Mac II		-120ns
MAc IIx, IIcx	-100ns
Mac IIci,SE/30	-80ns (Fast Page Mode)

Good luck!

MY OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

+================================================================+
+      San Francisco Giants - 10 Games Back and Gaining !!       +
+					Hummmm Baby!!!           +
+===============================++===============================+
+ Barrey Jewall                 ++ "My opinions are my opinions" +
+ barrey@novell.com	        ++ (rather self-evident, eh?)    +
+ Novell, Inc.- San Jose, Calif.++				 +
+===============================++===============================+

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (07/04/90)

In article <1498@excelan.COM> barrey@ka.excelan.com (Barrey Jewall) writes:

>RAM SPEEDS FOR MACINTOSH

>Mac Plus, SE	-150ns
>Mac II		-120ns
>MAc IIx, IIcx	-100ns
>Mac IIci,SE/30	-80ns (Fast Page Mode)

Ah, not quite.  Here is the correct table:

Mac Plus, SE             -150ns
Mac II, IIx, IIcx, SE/30 -120ns
Mac IIci                 -80ns, fast page
Mac IIfx                 -80ns, 64 pin fast page

Now, I know for a fact that Apple puts faster than needed memory in some
machines.  I've seen 100ns in an SE, but never 150ns in a II series.
I really get a kick when I upgrade a really old machine that has 256K DIP SIMMS.
Often the 256K SIMMS are quite a bit larger than the 1 megs!

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

Greetings, Royal Ugly Dudes!

madsen@zola.ics.uci.edu (Rodney Kent Madsen) (07/10/90)

Speaking of memory upgrades...I just went on a semi-exhaustive SIMM hunt and
the best price I could find was $56/Mbyte.  That was for a 1Mbx8 SIMM, 80ns.
The company offering that price is Peripheral Outlet in Ada, Oklahoma
(800)332-6581.  Does anyone know of a better deal? If not, I'll get 'em.
--
R. Kent Madsen            | Have you ever vomited as a result of doing one
madsen@ics.uci.edu (ARPA) | set of curls?  If not, then you simply don't