[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Resurecting a dead hard disk

JS05STAF@MIAMIU.BITNET (Joe Simpson) (07/12/90)

Recently the 6 month old SONY 40mb drive in my Mac IIcx failed.  It
would not spin up.

A friendly hardware guy "drank the drive" and got it so spin up long
enough let me back up.  The technique is.

Hold the drive in the hand of choice so that the disk platter is
parallel to your palm and you palm is 90 degrees to your chest.

Use a gentle "drinking" motion to move the drive toward your face, twisting
your wrist to  rotate the drive.  Stop the motion abruptly and rotate the
drive back to the rest position (again not rapidly, just gentely.

Apparently this sometimes breaks the platter loose and will let you
back up.  Of course other bad things could happen to, but if you are
sure that your drive is dead this trick is worth a try.

My drive is functioning perfectly now, but I will have it replaced as soon
as possible.  When it failed to spin up, the drive motor got very hot.

MARCELO@idunno.princeton.edu (MARCELO) (07/13/90)

In article <90193.094223JS05STAF@MIAMIU.BITNET> JS05STAF@MIAMIU.BITNET
(Joe Simpson) writes:
> Recently the 6 month old SONY 40mb drive in my Mac IIcx failed.  It
> would not spin up.
>
> A friendly hardware guy "drank the drive" and got it so spin up long
> enough let me back up.  The technique is.
>
> Hold the drive in the hand of choice so that the disk platter is
> parallel to your palm and you palm is 90 degrees to your chest.
>
> Use a gentle "drinking" motion to move the drive toward your face,
twisting
> your wrist to  rotate the drive.  Stop the motion abruptly and rotate the
> drive back to the rest position (again not rapidly, just gentely.
>
> Apparently this sometimes breaks the platter loose and will let you
> back up.  Of course other bad things could happen to, but if you are
> sure that your drive is dead this trick is worth a try.

Another trick (does the exact same thing) is when you power up the Mac
give it a little "kick" .. By this I mean pick up one end of the Mac a few
inches and drop it .. That jolt is usually enough to get the HD spinning
freely again ..

     .. Marcelo ..

marcelo@pucc.princeton.edu
marcelo@idunno.princeton.edu