[net.columbia] Healing and going on

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (01/31/86)

Here is part of a letter I mailed to NASA.  In it I suggest one way to
help us all heal, recover, and go on.  If you also like the idea, it
might help to write such a letter yourself.

>    I share your  shock,  anguish,  and  concern  over the recent
> Shuttle tragedy.  Mere words cannot convey my grief.
>
>    The manned space program will -- must -- continue.  I suggest
> an  appropriate  way to help return it to normal.  When the very
> next Shuttle  mission  reaches orbit, the crew should  perform a
> memorial service and burial in space.  If remains are found, the
> scattering of ashes in orbit will be a fitting  tribute to those
> who lost their  lives,  and a  suitable  close to this  terrible
> chapter in the story of mankind's journey out to the stars.
>
>    The burial  would  actually  involve  the  release of a small
> capsule,   containing  cremated  remains  of  the  crew  or  the
> Challenger.  Its  orbit  will  eventually  decay,  and  it  will
> re-enter  the  atmosphere  as a  suitable  funeral  pyre for the
> pioneers of space development.
>
>    As this idea  occurred to me, it must surely have crossed the
> minds  of  NASA  leaders.  Please  convey  this  letter  to  the
> appropriate  people to show my support for such a  ceremony.  If
> possible,  I  would  appreciate  a  response  indicating  if  my
> suggestion can become a reality.

If I do receive a response, I'll share it with you.

Alan Silverstein

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/07/86)

In article <13900008@hpfcla.UUCP> ajs@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
>Here is part of a letter I mailed to NASA.  In it I suggest one way to
>help us all heal, recover, and go on.  If you also like the idea, it
>might help to write such a letter yourself.
>
>    I share your  shock,  anguish,  and  concern  over the recent
> Shuttle tragedy.  Mere words cannot convey my grief.
>
>    The manned space program will -- must -- continue.  I suggest
> an  appropriate  way to help return it to normal.  When the very
> next Shuttle  mission  reaches orbit, the crew should  perform a
> memorial service and burial in space.  If remains are found, the
> scattering of ashes in orbit will be a fitting  tribute to those
> who lost their  lives,  and a  suitable  close to this  terrible
> chapter in the story of mankind's journey out to the stars.
>

>Alan Silverstein

Don't you think the astronauts' families should have something to say
about it?