[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SID & early cx WEIRDNESS !

TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu (07/15/90)

My SID-II works fine on other macs including my cx at work, but it doesn't
work properly on my cx at home. The sound is getting scrambled in such a way
that it looks like the sound ribbon has been cut length wise and put back
together in the wrong order!!! I can see the sound wave but it is discontinous.
The wave will go off the top and continue back on the bottom. Really bizarr.

Now I'm wondering if this is a hardware problem with a very early cx. I have
some vague recollection of there being a problem with  the really early
cx's of which my home cs is. The serial ports seem to work just fine for
printing and modeming (as it is right now) but perhaps it doesn't work well
when it is externally clocked as I think the SID is.

Any ideas?

Tony Jacobs
Center for Engineering Design
University of Utah

mikec@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Mike E. Ciholas) (07/16/90)

In article <77778@cc.utah.edu> TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu writes:
>My SID-II works fine on other macs including my cx at work, but it doesn't
>work properly on my cx at home.  [stuff deleted about garbled sound, etc.]
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Tony Jacobs

This problem took me a LONG time to find.  The Solution: cut pin 7 on the din 8
connector.  Looking from the rear of the connector, pin 7 is the top center pin
and can be easily cut from the rear.

The problem is this:

On Mac II, SE, and on up, pin 7 on the din 8 was connected to the data carrier
detect line on the SCC chip.  This causes interrupts to occur whenever the
signal transitions from high to low or vice versa.  The input to the Mac goes
to a differential line receiver which compares the input signal with ground.
On the SID-II circuit board, I grounded pin 7, just trying to be safe.  Bad
move.  Now any noise on the line causes tons of interrupts freezing the
machine.

But there's more!  Since the differential receivers have some few millivolts of
offset (that is, they aren't perfect), some machines aren't affected at all!
I, of course, had the misfortune of testing on only machines that worked!  So
the SID got shipped that way.  Then I heard people say it doesn't work.  Well,
I eventually found a machine it didn't work on, and with some effort, found
the problem.  Up until now, machines either locked, or worked.  It sounds
like your problem is border line, occasionally working, sometimes not causing
garbled sound messages.

Hope this helps.

Mike Ciholas

mikec@ai.mit.edu

PS: I will be sending a note to all SID owners advising them of this flaw and
the simple fix.  Also, capacitor C29 is labeled backwards on the circuit board
so everybody probably put it in backwards.  It still works that way, though.