[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Syquest 45M Removable & *Dust*

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (07/16/90)

I'd be strongly tempted to get one of the Syquest 45M removables available from
so many different vendors, but I've got one worry.  My environment has become
*extremely* dusty.  I don't know if dust has anything to do with it, but I
ruin about 1 floppy a month.  (First I get errors, then formatting the floppy
fails right at the end.)  How do the Syquests perform in a dusty environment?
Should I worry about this?

I would have *thought* an optical disk would be immune from such problems, but
a buddy of mine with a NeXt gave me the astonishing news that some folks are
getting their optical disk drives practically *ruined* by dust.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Dhanapong Saengrussamee-University of North Texas) (07/17/90)

--
At work here we have 3 Syquests.  2 for student access (1 PC, 1 Mac).  Our lab
director got 1 on his IIcx.  I own one, personally - the others are state

__Mouse.o()~
-----------------------------------+------------------------------------------
Dhanapong "Mouse" Saengrussamee    | AppleLink : U1364 | BITNET : mouse@untvax
Technical Support, CECS Dept.,     | BIX : d.mouse.s | CompuServe : 71301,1516
University of North Texas,         | GENie : d.saengrussa | IP : 129.120.1.4
PO Box 5155, Denton, TX 76203-5155 | Internet : mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
voice (817) 565-3790               | SPAN : utspan::utandx::untvax::mouse
fax   (817) 565-4425               | THENet : untvax::mouse
------------------- UUCP : {...!uunet!convex!iex}!ntvax!vaxb.acs.unt.edu!mouse

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (07/17/90)

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:

>I'd be strongly tempted to get one of the Syquest 45M removables available from
>so many different vendors, but I've got one worry.  My environment has become
>*extremely* dusty.  I don't know if dust has anything to do with it, but I
>ruin about 1 floppy a month.  (First I get errors, then formatting the floppy
>fails right at the end.)  How do the Syquests perform in a dusty environment?
>Should I worry about this?

Just a thought:  If the floppys don't like the dust, what about the head on
the drive?  And all the chips covered with dust trying to put off heat.
Maybe the worry isn't how the drive functions in dust, but how to keep dust
out.

Brian Aslakson
--
Macintosh related:  mac-admin@cs.umn.edu