[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Eraseable Optical Drives

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (07/15/90)

"From: kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan)
"
"I was just told by Mirror Technologies that their 600 Meg eraseable optical
"drive has an average access time of 50 ms and a maximum access time of 66.7 ms
"and that they sell for only about $3500.  Now, this sounds too good to be true.
"Has anyone had any experience with these people and their product?

What I find even more appealing is the new 3 1/2" optical from Pinnacle
Micro for only $2995 and 40 ms access time. That's about what my first
(AT) hard disk had. The disks hold either 133 meg or 126 meg depending
upon how you format "the drive."

See page 105 in the August MacWorld for the rest of the info.

Pinnacle Micro is in Irvine CA (800-553-7070). For me that's a few
miles away, so I'm going to look into it.

Shirley Kehr

declan@portia.Stanford.EDU (07/17/90)

Later this year, NeXT will announce a new system with (among many new features)
what will probably be a 512 MB, 32 ms optical disk drive based on Canon's
new drive mechanism.  No price has been set, but I'd expect it to be
comfortably under $2,000 - perhaps even closer to $1,500.

-Declan

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (07/17/90)

In article <1990Jul17.043311.20221@portia.Stanford.EDU>,
declan@portia.Stanford.EDU writes:

> Later this year, NeXT will announce a new system with (among many new
features)
> what will probably be a 512 MB, 32 ms optical disk drive based on Canon's
> new drive mechanism.  No price has been set, but I'd expect it to be
> comfortably under $2,000 - perhaps even closer to $1,500.

I heard somewhere that a European company was working on an erasable OD
that would also be able to play CD ROMs (and presumably music CDs). This
sounds like something worth waiting for. Does anyone have information on
this?

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu