[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Latest status of SID II kits?

bobj@hpindwa.HP.COM (Bob Joslin) (07/19/90)

What's the latest status of the SID II kits?  Has the second shipment
of parts come in for those of us who sent our orders in after June 14th.
I posted this as a basenote comp.sys.mac.hardware so all those interested
would also be able to see Mike's reply.

I'm trying to be patient.  Keep up the good work Mike!  Your efforts on
this project are outstanding!

Bob Joslin

P.S. Mike, my order is piggybacked on an order under a different name,
so don't worry about missing an order form.

mikec@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Mike E. Ciholas) (07/19/90)

In article <46650003@hpindwa.HP.COM> bobj@hpindwa.HP.COM (Bob Joslin) writes:
>What's the latest status of the SID II kits?  Has the second shipment
>of parts come in for those of us who sent our orders in after June 14th.
>I posted this as a basenote comp.sys.mac.hardware so all those interested
>would also be able to see Mike's reply.
>
>Bob Joslin

All orders received after June 14th and before July 13th were shipped on
Monday, July 15th.  In other words, some people got great service, others
got no so good service.  I try not to shipped so irregularly, but parts
suppliers have given me trouble (I had to FedEx some parts this time due to
a supplier that "strung" me along, finally I had to cancel and order from
somewhere else).  You should rceive the kit by the end of this week.

Of my initial board run of 250, I have only about 40 left.  There will be
another run (possibly of 500 if I can swing the cash) so the SID should be
continually available until demand falls.

I haven't received any non-funtional kits back in the mail.  I am not sure
whether to interpret this as they are all working (doubtful) or people
just are frustrated and don't send them back.

Anyway, I have included my standard reply to "what is a SID and how do I
order?" question:

The SID (sound input device) is a sound digitizer that was developed
by a group of people called The SID Trio.  They released the circuit
design and some driver software to the public domain.  Many people
tried to build a SID, and they wondered whether they could buy a
circuit board for it.  I took the basic SID design and improved its
operation as well as reduce its cost.  I am offering circuit boards
and complete kits for the design.  I call it the SID-II.

The SID-II samples sound at 22254 samples per second, the same rate
the Mac uses to play it.  It plugs into one of the serial ports and
requires no external power source or batteries.  It has 8 bit
resolution.  Two SID-IIs can be wired together so that they share the
same timing for synchronous sampling of two channels (stereo, only for
Mac II and up).  The input to the SID-II can be from the built in
microphone, an external microphone, or a line level source (like a
tape deck or cd player).

Documentation for the original SID (including software) is available
by anonymous ftp from sumex-aim.stanford.edu in the file
info-mac/sound/program/sid.hqx.  A complete documentation package for
the SID-II is available in the file info-mac/sound/program/sid-ii.hqx.
If you cannot get the sid-ii.hqx file, email me and I will try to send
it to you directly.  The documentation includes a schematic, a parts
placement diagram, a parts list with sources, a circuit desciption,
and ordering information.

If you do not have anonymous ftp capability, you can contact
mikec@ai.mit.edu to receive the documentation directly.

I have decided NOT to put together "hard to find" kits.  Not many
people said they would order only the partial kit, having two
quantities of parts to order is a pain, the circuit has been modified
so that few parts are hard to find, and I give you very complete parts
locating help.  I WILL, however, produce a "precision filter parts"
kit.  Since I have changed the filter in the SID, I will sell the
precision resistors and capacitors required for those not buying the
complete kit.  You are strongly urged to buy the filter kit so that
your filter does respond as expected (the resitors are 1%, and the
caps are 2%).  In addition, I will also offer the DIN8 connector
separately.  The Jameco 8MDJ connector is not suitable for PC
mounting, so I have opted for a "real" pc mounted version.  I know
that nobody can get it, so I will offer it separately.  If you wish to
use the Jameco connector, I give you instructions on how to do so
(this is best when you opt for an enclosure).

I have decided NOT to produce an enclosure.  When assembled, the PC
board has four mounting holes which a small machine screw can be
fitted.  These four screws then serve as "legs" for the PC board,
keeping it from shorting on a metal table top.  I think the exposed
circuit is COOL, but you may enclose it if you wish.  The cost of
machining and labeling boxes just isn't worth it.  Also, there are
five items that have to mount through the case, which is a pain (2
audio jacks, a microphone, a volume control, and the Mac serial
connector).  The PC board does accomodate mounting in an enclosure if
you so desire.

Product Descriptions
------- ------------

SID-KIT		A complete kit of all parts to build a SID-II.  Does not
		include an enclosure or a cable.  An enclosure is
		optional, the PC board can stand alone.  Includes a full
		instruction sheet.  Includes SID-FILTER and SID-DIN8 parts.

SID-STEREO	A slave kit for building a slave synchronous stereo SID.
		Requires a full SID in order to operate.  Refer to the
		Special Instructions for information on stereo operation.
		Includes SID-FILTER and SID-DIN8 parts.

SID-FILTER	A kit consisting of precision parts used in the anti-
		aliasing filter on the SID-II.  For a complete list,
		consult the Parts List (included in SID-KIT and SID-STEREO).

SID-BOARD	The bare PC board.  The PC board is 2 by 4 inches, double
		sided, plated through holes, solder mask both sides,
		and a label screen on the top side.  Includes a full
		instruction sheet.

SID-DIN8	The right angle PC mount mini DIN 8 connector.  This part
		is very hard to find (included in SID-KIT and SID-STEREO).

SID-DISK	An 800K disk with the public domain software from the
		original SID.  May contain other PD or shareware programs.

SID-CABLE	An ImagewriterII to Mac printer cable.  One is required
		to operate the SID-II.

Ordering Information
--------------------

There is a 90 day warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
CEDAR Technologies liability in any event shall be limited to the value
of the product.

All orders must be received by mail.  For US orders, shipping is included
and there is no sales tax in New Hampshire.  For Canadian orders, funds
must be in US dollars and there is a $2 shipping fee.  For foreign orders,
funds must be in US dollars and there is a $7 shipping fee.  The shipping
fee applies regardless of the size of the order (foreign orders will
benefit greatly from group ordering since you have to get only one US check
and do not have to pay the shipping charge mutliple times).  Do not
send cash, we accept checks or money orders only.

Allow 4 to 6 weeks for domestic delivery, and up to 8 weeks for foreign
orders.

Fill out the following order form and mail it to:

		CEDAR Technologies
		P.O. Box 224
		Dublin, NH 03444

CEDAR Technologies			SID-II Order Form