[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Marathon Racer

fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Frank D. Malczewski) (04/09/90)

>In other words, from what I can tell, the difference between the Racer
>and the MacSprint II is $50 and nothing more.
>--
>David Elliott
>dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce
>(408)944-4073
>"Only four of us?  Who escaped?"

Not being able to speak for the Marathon Racer, there may be a few other
differences:

   MacSprint II does not work with either THINK C 4.0, nor with the
      ImageWriter LQ 2.0 driver.  There may be other things, but these
      were the most obvious to me...
      ,
      ,
      ,

--Frank Malczewski                        (fdm@wlv.imsd.contel.com)
					  (malczews@nunki.usc.edu)

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (04/09/90)

In article <51298@wlbr.IMSD.CONTEL.COM> fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM.UUCP (Frank D. Malczewski) writes:
>Not being able to speak for the Marathon Racer, there may be a few other
>differences:
>
>   MacSprint II does not work with either THINK C 4.0, nor with the
>      ImageWriter LQ 2.0 driver.  There may be other things, but these
>      were the most obvious to me...

Well, I can say that the Racer definitely works OK with THINK C 4.0,
at least for the things I've tried.  I did have problems with a piece
of code written for 3.0, so I'll go back and try it again with the
Racer turned off.

Any clues as to what "does not work" means with THINK C in this case?

--

fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Frank D. Malczewski) (04/10/90)

In article <1990Apr9.010731.10890@smsc.sony.com> dce@Sony.COM (David Elliott) writes:
>In article <51298@wlbr.IMSD.CONTEL.COM> fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM.UUCP (Frank D. Malczewski) writes:
>>Not being able to speak for the Marathon Racer, there may be a few other
>>differences:
>>
>>   MacSprint II does not work with either THINK C 4.0, nor with the
>>      ImageWriter LQ 2.0 driver.  There may be other things, but these
>>      were the most obvious to me...
>
>Well, I can say that the Racer definitely works OK with THINK C 4.0,
>at least for the things I've tried.  I did have problems with a piece
>of code written for 3.0, so I'll go back and try it again with the
>Racer turned off.
>
>Any clues as to what "does not work" means with THINK C in this case?
>
>--
>David Elliott
>dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce
>(408)944-4073
>"Only four of us?  Who escaped?"

The problem I consistently ran across with THINK C and MacSprint II was
when compiling a project with a handful or more files; it consistently
would cause MacsBug to appear after  successfully compiling the first two
files or so [don't recall the specific error].

With the ImageWriter LQ 2.0, entire lines and even larger blocks
of text (not sure about graphics, but would assume) would not get printed
[just blank space appears where text should be]; random in nature, but is
likely related to some conflict between the caching done by MS II and that
done by the LQ driver.

,
,
,
,

--Frank Malczewski                        (fdm@wlv.imsd.contel.com)
					  (malczews@nunki.usc.edu)

wrk@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (William R. Krempp) (04/10/90)

Is anyone out there in netland doing the $2995 (Approx) upgrade to the
IIfx. If so, does the upgrade require turn in of the II/IIx motherboard?

Probably, so, I would be willing to pay $100-200 or so dollars to swap
my II motherboard with your IIx motherboard before you trade it in.
This will help lower the overall cost to you.  I am assuming the upgrade
price is the same for the II and IIx.  Any ideas.. or comments ??

|     Bill Krempp        wrk@phobos.cis.ksu.edu                            |

patten@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Brian Patten) (07/17/90)

  I am trying to determine the best way to upgrade my Mac Plus to
get a little more speed out of it.  I do a lot of scientific
programming and graphing, so a small speed increase would mean
a lot to me.

  I have been trying to follow the comments made about the Dove
Marathon 030 boards, and don't like the fact that you lose the
sound capabilities of the machine.  Does anyone out there have
any comments on the Marathon Racer?  I'm looking for pros and
cons.

  E-mail directed to me would be fine, or a posting to this
group would be fine if the author feels his/her comments could
aid others seeking information about the Racer.

Brian M. Patten
Institute for Astronomy
University of Hawaii
patten@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

lucy@MoFH.UUCP (Gary J. Hamilton) (07/19/90)

patten@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Brian Patten) writes:
>   I have been trying to follow the comments made about the Dove
> Marathon 030 boards, and don't like the fact that you lose the
> sound capabilities of the machine.  Does anyone out there have
> any comments on the Marathon Racer?  I'm looking for pros and
> cons.

I recently purchased a Dove Marathon 030-16 for my Plus. The friendly folk
at Dove are aware of the problem and I was informed this week that they are
shipping an init to take care of the problem. Judging by the concern and
attention shown by their technical support group, I have no doubt that this
will fix the problem.
Considering the cost of the upgrade, and the results obtained, I would still
consider the 030 worthwhile without the sound system. I have a
MacRecorder, and over a meg of resource sounds, and yes, it's annoying that
the sound system is trashed. However, the other consideration is the speed
and horsepower gained, and the cost of an SE/30.