[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac II refuses to power up

laver@siodo.UCSD.EDU (Mick Laver) (07/19/90)

A coworker has a Mac II that won't power up at all. It's as if the
keyboard wasn't even connected to the CPU. I have ...

	-swapped power cables
	-swapped the adb cable
	-tried a different keyboard
	-tried different adb sockets
	-checked the line voltage (110 vac)
	-moved it to a different building (!)

It seems dead as the proverbial doornail. This unit has been in two
times for the same problem. The first time the repair folks swapped the
power cable and declared it fixed. The second time it worked without
problems in the shop (of course) and the repair guy couldn't find
anything wrong. It DID work for a while after it came back from the
second time, but it sure doesn't now. Clues? Thanks.

God I love intermittent problems.

	-Mick Laver
	mlaver@ucsd.edu

fulk@cs.rochester.edu (Mark Fulk) (07/20/90)

In article <336@siodo.UCSD.EDU> laver@siodo.UCSD.EDU (Mick Laver) writes:
>A coworker has a Mac II that won't power up at all. It's as if the
>keyboard wasn't even connected to the CPU. I have ...
>... It DID work for a while after it came back from the
>second time, but it sure doesn't now. Clues? Thanks.
>
>God I love intermittent problems.

I had a similar problem with my IIcx.  It seems that leaving it unplugged
for varying amounts of time, sometimes as much as 30 minutes, fixes things
temporarily.  I now have mine on a switchable power strip/surge protector,
with power to the cpu controlled by the monitor.  Seems to work fine now.
I suspect that power line spikes (Rochester Gas and Electric is infamous
for them) knock the power supply into some sort of weird state.

Mark